Mantis Shrimp Tank Size

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Hello Katie, Apr 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

I have a 14g biocube that's definitely acrylic, and I'm pretty sure the 8g we bought on CL recently is acrylic (its scratched up pretty good). Maybe the newer models are glass and the older ones are acrylic? But I appreciate the recommendation on the acrylic tank, is there a website you order them from?

I'm glad I started researching now!

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

4. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

My pricing was from my lfs (doing research on my Mantis tank). I do know the TruVu is having a sale right now on tanks and have some awesome deals (including free shipping). They have some new designs that are similiar to the Biocube but definitely acrylic (size 20 and 29) I believe they call it the AquaSystem or something similiar:

TRUVU® Aquariums: Acrylic Aquarium, Fish Tank and Aquarium Filter Factory

I know the 8 is glass because the first one I received was damaged in shipping (glass everywhere). My 29 cleans like glass and does not scratch from using pads or razors. Pretty sure it is glass :).

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I said that because Kelley11 has a G. smithii. They typically aren't much more than O. scyllarus they are just a lot more rare, and don't last long on stomatopod.com

6. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

TruVu has a nice 40g for a good price, just a plain tank not the full system one. I wasn't really planning on buying anything yet but with the sale and free shipping I'm not sure I'll be able to resist ::)

7. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

40g is a bit bigger than I probably want but they have a 26 long and a 29 high... which shape is better for a mantis?

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Floor space is more important than height, but a 26L and a 29H both have 360 sq. in. Your mantis will be very happy in either one.

10. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

I went with an acrylic tank from FishTanksDirect.com, it's a tad bigger than the Truvu one.

30 Gallon Show Acrylic Aquarium 36x12x16

I'll need to get all the other accoutrements for the tank though. Any recommendations?

11. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I know you want to get a heater with some type of covering on it. You wouldnt want the Mantis to hit the glass type which could cause electrocution. I would recommend maybe the fluval heater that has a plastic covering, plus I love the way you set them and they have a visual alarm. I also like the Emperor filters, they are large (Model 280) and hold a lot of carbon plus come with an extra container that you can get creative with. I am not sure on a skimmer but the Rio would fit and is inexpensive. Looks like a very nice tank!

You should start a Mantis build thread with pictures :)

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Good point on the heater. They are known to whack the red light some heaters have. Titanium heaters are also on the market and no mantis is ever going to break one of those.