Mantis Shrimp Tank Size

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Hello Katie, Apr 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

I'm not quite ready for my mantis yet but I thought I'd start planning ahead and looking for tanks. I would like a peacock mantis so what size tank is recommended? And what's the majority opinion on glass vs. acrylic for these guys?

2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Acrylic. Sure you can probably get away with glass but is it really worth the risk when you consider all the wasted money and hassle?

25 gal is the recommended tank size. I like to see these guys in a 30 though.

4. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

Oh good, I wasn't sure the 29g Biocube would be big enough. That makes it easier since I don't see many acrylic tanks besides those. Thanks for the help!

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

29g biocubes make excellent peacock tanks.

6. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure they are glass. I have two and I know for sure the 8 gallon version is. A 20 gallon acryllic runs for around $115.00, you could easily setup a Mantis tank for under the cost of a Biocube (unless you already own).

20 Gallon Acryllic - $115.00 (30 Gallon is $148.00)
    Emperor 280 Filter - $48.00
    Rio HOB Skimmer - $28.00
    Basic light kit - $40.00

It is my understanding that these things are damn hardy and water conditions do not need to be perfect to have a very good success rate. If you go with the Biocube I would line the floor with Plexiglass to protect the glass. There are some excellent resources on these forums. I just got mine yesterday and I will be upgrading him out of my Biocube 8 asap :). Peacocks look awesome and I cannot wait to see your setup!

Good luck!

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

While this is true for most species of mantis shrimp, O. scyllarus are prone to shell disease and clean water goes a long way in health. Also lighting should be actinic only as O. scyllarus are a deeper water species and it makes them more comfortable (again helping avoid shell disease)

8. Click Here!

9. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I keep learning something new each day :), thank you!

10. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

No problem. I am sure you will be happy to hear G. smithii (purple spot mantis) are very resistant to shell disease. :)

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

im following along on this. I almost bought one the other day as I have a couple 20 gallon long acrycil that are in my fish room and 1 is plumed into my 220 filteration. This is an interesting post. Folling along.

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

but there also pricey. but hey, there awesome.