mantis shrimp care and ?'s

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Va Reef, Feb 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

oh yeah and post a picturer ASAP when you get it!

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

no iodine, got it, that would have been important. yeah i was doing research and usually its just the peacock's with cruel owners, or already cracked glass. i dont see how he's gonna redecorate cuz my rock is kinda big, but thankfully it'll hide the PVC greatly.

can i occasionally drop a shell (with a snail or crab)infront of his den so he can use his "smashers" ? or will that teach him to go after the future CUC?

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

no actually it will be good for you to drop it in front of him! He is going to eventually associate you with the bringer of food and actually learn that. Like I said with Bob she would eat the snails/crabs when I dropped them in front of her, but generally left the other ones alone when I would put them in............again, I knew the possibility of them being eaten!

The smasher must be used or else they will atrophy and go away. i would recommend adding some small rubble to the tank to allow him to smash and rearrange also

5. project1

project1 Spaghetti Worm

pvc it may or may not use both of mine went straight for holes in rocks then created a whole den system they are friggen awsume little guys to watch.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

rubble like what? i have some empty shells lying around, some chaeto that tends to stay on the bottom. also, what color will it be? ive read they change due to lighting, i have 24w 10000k pc's and 24w actinic. what should i use at first to get him to eat? live krill? (if thats possible) and with acclimation, would float then add water from tank over a period of 30mins be ok?

i have to say, they are very intriguing, i cant wait to have the epic stair downs LOL;D

7. project1

project1 Spaghetti Worm

krill will work hermit crabs snails is what mine liked. rubble such as getting a small piece of dry rock and smacken it with a hammer a few times and get those smaller pieces and such shells will work too. they will change from light to trying to camo with their surroundings. im really glad you are asking questions before buying one!! keep asking :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

thanks, cant wait to get that "rubble" LOL. any idea what color? i know T5's turn them green, but i didnt find any kept under PC's. 8). my speculation is that it will turn purpleish though. will having purple things in the tank have it come out more because its "camoflaged"?

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

the color will change depending on the diet, surroundings, etc. I have seen them green to a redish color. Plus will change somewhat with each molt

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

ok so if i feed hermits, snails, and maybe some krill, under PC's any idea what it'll stay around? or is it to hard to determine?

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I think it would be too hard to guess. I would guess more then likely green but depends on the shrimp itself.........but whatever color you are going to love it!

Bob had one of the best coloration I had seen. The green was very green adn the red was bright. This made me (and others) to think it was a male as males are usually brighter, however she laid eggs and told us that we were wrong!

I did notice also with Bob that the color will brighten up as you get more and more good food in them. I soaked her food in HUFA's at least 2-3 x a week and tried to give him as much variety as possible. I would mainly feed krill but also gave shrimp, squid, scallops, etc. along with live food about 1x week