Mantis is too nice!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by irr0001, Feb 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Well I wouldn't worry about his rapt health then. If you want to watch him attack something you could try some saltwater ghost shrimp. My LFS sells them for $2/12. My wennerae loves to chase them.

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Thats a good idea..I can only get the FW ones here though.

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Sounds like you have a lover not a fighter ;)

I'd suggest just removing the frozen foods for a while and see what happens, or try the ghost shrimp idea. Or both. I've never had a mantis that had difficulty in killing :lol:

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I know..i can't believe i'm having this problem lol I shot a few brine shrimp at him today while i was feeding the gramma..hope he filled up because that's his last meal for a while!

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

A few times Mr. Fister has ceased to be interested in snails and hermits but ghost shrimp have never failed to excite him. I think it has to do with how slow they are. I understand how the pinnacle of hunting evolution would get bored hunting the slowest animals in an enclosed environment.

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Well it's been a week with only a few brine shrimp he stole from the gramma..and guess who's beating the s**t out of a dwarf cerith!! finally!!

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

If they get hungry enough they all have that killer spirit in them. ;D Good to hear he is striking though.

10. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

The dwarf ceriths work quite well for the smaller mantis shrimp. I used to throw some in Jwin's tank when he had Princess, and now I toss them in with his new mantis. They serve double duty - clean the tank and then become dinner! I keep an assortment of astrea snails in Bo's tank. He'll pick them off one by one. He also will take krill off the tongs, but if he's not hungry, he'll just toss it out of his den and I have to take it out. He's been laying low for about a week, so we suspect another molt.

11. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I'm still waiting on the first molt..kind of nervous..hope all goes well!

12. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Jwin's little mantis already had a molt a few weeks ago. He just disappeared inside a rock for a few days or so and came out bigger and a totally different color! Bo has more of a "den" - he'll kind of look out at me if I shine a flashlight in there, but he won't come out yet. It took a few weeks for him the last time. He gets really active before he disappears for a molt - he was digging like crazy right before.