mantis caught

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by divott, Dec 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Thanks, Stepho! I love that picture - it's so hard to get a good shot! Just guessing on the "V" - it looked "V-ish" to me ;)

2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I know what you mean about getting a good picture. When they are out of their den they seem to be on the move, especially when a camera is nearby. I swear Fister knows when I am trying to take a picture and he tries to make it impossible without going into his den to tease me.

It really is an excellent picture though!

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

so far been impossible to get a good pic of the mantis. but went out with daughter tonight, and she pic picked this fellow as his tank mate. for how long , who knows. lol. especially that its taken to hiding in the rocks. which is where the mantis has its home. i guess time will tell. i didnt get it for dinner, but i know theres a possibility it can happen, got it for some movement in the tank.

Attached Files:

• mb.jpg
      mb.jpg
      File size:
      311.9 KB
      Views:
    • mb1.jpg
      mb1.jpg
      File size:
      254.6 KB
      Views:
  5. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Very nice addition! If your mantis is well fed I don't think there is any reason for him to become lunch. I've had a few in the past and noticed they will "usually" only go after the weak or injured one's, but even then it's not a guarantee. Hope he live's a long and happy life with you Guy, they sure are interesting :)

1 person likes this.
  6. divott

divott Giant Squid

i sure hope thats the case. the damsels kinda cool looking. also when we were at the lfs, theyve got a zebra mantis. roughly 6 inches long and as thick as a sausage. they gave it a mollie while we were there. very nast end to that hi how are ya. lol. very cool mantis tho.

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I have a 3-stripe damsel with my mantis and it hasn't become dinner yet. Jwin kept one with princess and it never became lunch either. Although 3 chromis became lunch for their Smithii. I think it should be fine.

The good thing about damsels is they are cheap and its easy to get one that looks exactly like it if your daughter would be heart broken. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Oh wow, I bet he had an interesting meal! It's interesting to watch them in their natural state like that, but freshwater feeders are not good for them :-/

10. Triplemom

Our 3-stripe damsel outlived Princess the mantis! They were in tank together for probably 8 months or so...

Sick....

Sick.....

11. divott

divott Giant Squid

like my daughters choice? thought of you and jwin when she picked it out. that almost doesnt sound right, relating you and jwin to a fish. well maybe your son. :)

and let me get this straight , you gave 2 sicks to stepho and myself , but saw another thread and you were applauding skimate? amybe even used the word in your description? women !! :) never figure them out. lol

1 person likes this.
  12. Triplemom

Love your daughter's choice, but relating me and Jwin to a fish?....sick....ok, maybe Jwin.

Don't even try.....sick....:p