mantis caught

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by divott, Dec 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. divott

divott Giant Squid

actually water just reached 78, hes in his new home with 2 astrea snails. hope they become close friends , or dinner. lol. good thing xmas is over, im sounding naughty. :)

to all the mantis owners , can i be in your "club"? lol

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Haha you're in it unofficially :D Stepho or Inwall or somebody is ruler of the 3reef "Stomatopod Club". Try searching for it, you may be able to join that way.

Tank looks good! As the mantis gets bigger, you can always go out and buy some nice base rock pieces to toss in. it's a pretty little mantis :) Do you know how to tell its gender? If so, girl or boy?

And for food, frozen mysis and krill is what we feed. The smaller mantis (less than 2 inches) will eat about 1 whole krill a week. We stagger where we feed every other day. Just small pieces of krill or mysis. Bo, our 3" mantis eats about 3 krill a week. One krill per feeding. He's a tad big for mysis. He enjoyed running around grabbing live brine we had as our reef tank's "Christmas dinner" yesterday though :)

I know you've probably said this before, but how big is your mantis?

4. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Divott, your getting karma from me every time I see you post!!!!!:):):):) Not only did you not freak out about the coolest shrimp on earth hitchhiking into your tank, you actually saved it's life and have a dedicated tank for him. Many people are very ignorant about these fascinating creatures, and try to kill them when they find out they have one, which is just too sad :( but luckily this guy will live a (hopefully)happy life thanks to you, kudos/karma going your way, :thumb_up: :cheesy:

2 people like this.
  5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Ah, I just saw that he's 1.5" long. You'll get a feel for how much he'll eat, because they're smart and only eat when they know they're hungry. When they're full from eating, they'll toss out any left overs. That's why it's better to spread out feedings instead of once a week things, it keeps the mess down. I'd start out with going through maybe 1 or less krill per week and see how he does with that.

3reef Forums - Stomatopod Club

Ugh. We're assuming it's a he, but I wanna know the gender :D

2 people like this.
  6. divott

divott Giant Squid

thnx tom and jwin. sorry for any ignorance jwin, but no i dont know how to tell the sex. hope i dont have to lift anything up that would cause a sexual harrasssment suit. :)

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Haha not quite, but you do need to get a look at the underside if you can :) If you know where to look, you can normally see if the mantis is male viewing them from their side. What you're looking for is the area directly in front of their little swimmy things. If it's a male, you'll see what looks like 2 little sticks pointing to the ground (when the mantis is standing normally), and they'll make an inward "V" shape. Some people also describe the location as "just behind the last set of normal legs". I'll try to get a picture of Bo's...if he'll let me. Wow, is this legal? :D So yeah, it's easier to see if they're boys. Basically if you look multiple times and you still don't see signs of boyhood, assume it's a girl.

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

thnmx jwin. sounds kinda creepy and perverted. lol. almost feel like i should be wearin a long trench coat. lol but i will try and get a good long look at it. sheeesh now im creepin myself out. :)

guy

1 person likes this.
  10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

At least that's more decent than me trying to get a picture of it :lol:

11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Hey gratz on the mantis. He/She looks cute.

1 person likes this.
  12. divott

divott Giant Squid

i havent been able to see the under carriage yet. lol. so i think an appropriate name might be pat. :) thnx p