mangrove lighting requirments and cycle time

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Night-Rida, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

did it help with your nitrates? whats your nitrates at now?

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

To make more of the space and to help stand them stand up you can put them in through egg crate thats what I did. I have about 15 in my tank. where did you buy your mangroves at

4. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

I asked John about the lighting a while back abd he said 24/7 will stunt red mangroves but would be cool with blacks

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

with the addition of the 5 mangroves and a large ball (3 handfulls) my Nitrates dropped from a steady 20+ to a measured 2.5 in about 30 days

poke them through the egg crate and then put a rubber band around it to keep it from falling out, then place them over the sump so the lower 2-3" are in the water. spray them off with RO/DI water once a week to help them eliminate the salt from their systems.

6. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

I did the same thing

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well after upgrading my lights to a ecosmart 26w ~ 120w equivlent CFL flood.. my mangroves have started new leaves, and my chaeto doesnt look bigger but its definitly firmer and a little fuller. I know its only been 2 weeks for mangroves and 1 week for chaeto but nitrates have be taken down to 0-5 range. The new light helps a bunch, it was only $8 at home depot. 5000k daylight spectrum.. well keep everyone posted on growth.. hopefully in 4 weeks that chaeto will double in size. :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

----------------------------------------------
    well its been 3 weeks and my chaeto has doubled in size. mangroves roots are growing as well.. I spread the chaeto out flat and flip it over every other day so both sides get light.. nitrates are 0 all day every day! algae problem is receding also in main tank.. ::)

10. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

yup, sounds just like what I did :p
    Congrats!