Mangrove and Chaeto

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tedsalmon, Aug 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tedsalmon

tedsalmon Astrea Snail

Well I have been searching and cant seem to find an answer so here is my question. Can I put Mangrove and Chaeto directly in my tank. I will have some inverts, soft coral, and fish. And my tank is a 65 gallon 36x18x24

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I am unsure about mangrove as I never kept it, but I always put a little cheato in my tank..the tangs and other fish love it!

4. tedsalmon

tedsalmon Astrea Snail

Ok well thank you. One down one to go lol.

5. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

You can put mangrove in your tank, just hang them in the corner where the tops are up out of the water. Mine are in the fuge, but were hanging out in the front corner of the tank so I could see the root sprout.

6. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

:Back in the day :party014:, before i had a sump I used to put a big chunk of cheato behind the rocks. it got enough light to grow like crazy , and i had enough fish to keep mowed down.

7. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Never heard of anything eating cheato...

the problem with hanging mangroves out of the tank is lighting them. If you're using a pendant, great. If you are expecting them to grow relying on just room lighting, you'll be disappointed.
    They are tough, I took four and dumped them in brackish water for a week, then in fresh water. They are now outside, getting ready to be planted in a pond!

8. Click Here!

9. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

My tangs (blue & purple) and foxface love it. I also have a foxface at the shop that eats it like spaghetti also eat bubble algae;D

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I would not mix them the Mangroves have totally different needs then a grass.

11. tedsalmon

tedsalmon Astrea Snail

Thank you all for your help.

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Mangroves and chaeto go great together. Found that way in nature, do just fine that way. Keep the top outside the tank (mangroves), with outside lighting preferred, (make sure it doesn't get to hot at the tips of the mangrove), and then unde r the inside lights keep the chaeto. The chaeto will wrap itself all around the mangrove sprouts when they take off.