mandrian fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by hottielover14, Mar 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i heard that mandrian fish are very hard to keep. Especially if u have no LS or LR. I have both. do any of u guys have any. If,so is it hard.

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I dont have one but I think i could keep one. They almost only eat pods .Ive got tons of them,that my maroon clown eats them durring the day

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You need a fully mature tank in excess of 100 gallons or they starve to death. Fully mature means at least a year old!

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

This fish is an expert fish for the reasons Craig stated, some people try to acclimate them to brine, black worms or frozen with little success. If you plan on keeping one don't even think about it for at least a year after setup. Something else to consider is by its nature it is a recluse so it is a hard fish to monitor diet and health not to mention it will be hidden from view at most times.

6. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Fish;num=1078718317;start=0#2 date=03/07/04 at 21:17:29]You need a fully mature tank in excess of 100 gallons or they starve to death.  Fully mature means at least a year old![/quote]
    I agree this is why my maroon gets to eat them exclusively ;D

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Re: mandarin fish

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Fish;num=1078718317;start=0#2 date=03/07/04 at 21:17:29]You need a fully mature tank in excess of 100 gallons or they starve to death.  Fully mature means at least a year old![/quote]

I have had my Mandarin for over a year and a half in an 80 gallon. But I have a 14 gallon Refugium and a 10 gallon or so sump.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Fully mature in excess of 100 gallonns for BEST results.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Re: mandarin fish

I have a 75G tank it's been running about 1.5 year. I love Mandarin Dragonets. But that is just one fish I feel I can not support. I do not want a Fuge (no room) and I know I have a health and large coepode population but a Mandarin would make shot work of it. Then it would be left with nothing to eat.
    I wish this fish would not be available so readily in LFS. But most LSF have two or three on-hand all the time.
    I feel this fish should be considered an EXPERT only fish.

J

11. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

can u see pods. I have LS and LR and i don't see any.

12. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

When the pods are there you will see them.