Mandarin Training

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by cody3819, Feb 26, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

What's the best way to try to get a Green Mandarin to eat frozen foods and also the vitamins to supplement. I'm asking because about a week ago I bought a Mandarin from my LFS, I did some reading before I bought and in the store it appeared as if I took frozen shrimp. But when I brought it home I didn't take the food..... It's eating pods, but my pods are starting to thin out.... I still have a good bit but just not as much. I have out tiger pods in my tank and and I'm feeding phytoplankton in my filtration section.... I have tried to get it to eat the red eggs on sushi and it does at times but not enough to sustain it self. All the help is welcome as I want to keep this beauty alive a well!

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

See if it likes live brine shrimp. If it does you can often mix in frozen with live. This is what we usually do. Eventually they'll take frozen brine. This process can take up to a few weeks.

It is important to understand that even when fish like mandarins take frozen food, their metabolism a aren't designed to work like that. They still need to eat pods constantly.

4. cody3819

Thanks Va, and yes I have read that they still need pods. I am still working on my "pod project" to start a pod farm..... I will get a 10g for that. Do you believe I should get a breeder holding tank to train it? And I have read about supplementing vitamins also when feeding brine.

5. cody3819

I would eventually like it to eat myssus and eggs.... As they have great nutrients for it. And the eggs drop on the sand so it can hunt..

6. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I'm lazy in this arena. I've tried the brine but couldn't keep them alive long enough and always making new batches. SO.... I've gone to raising pods in my fuge and have it continually draining into my return pumps. It does great getting a few pods into my display but it's a long shot with only a few critters that will swim up to the outflow and into the return pump area. About every other month I'll buy two bottles of pods and after everyone tucks themselves in for the night I'll turn the returns and sump off for 45 mins and dump the bottles into my tank. It gives the pods time to settle into the rocks (well those that make it past my two cardinals). In the morning..... the hunt is on.

cody3819 likes this.
  7. cody3819

I have started a small pod tank, once I get a few going I will out a 10 G pod tank together...

8. Click Here!

9. cody3819

Do you guys recommend any training tips, maybe a breeder box...? Or a special vitamin supplement or anything like that? As stated above I have some eggs, forget the name, and he took a few but then left them alone?

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

took mine 3 years to "understand" or rather take interest in the fish food i make for the other tank inhabitants... but i have seen him "nip" and eat chunks that float near by him...winning!!!

11. cody3819

Mine nipped at those eggs a few times but just stopped......? I believe I will get a breeder box and and slowly put brine in there and see? Or do you believe myssus is better, I have small frozen myssus about the same size as brine

scajeo likes this.
  12. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I'll be watching to see your progress cody. It'll be interesting to hear your results. Best of luck.

cody3819 likes this.