Mandarin Ready?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Zechenia, Nov 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Ready for a Mandarin?

1. It's a Safe Bet. Go For it?

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. There's still work to be done!

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

So, I've been waiting to get a Mandarin until I know I am ready for one. However, I feel a may be close, and am looking for some input.

First, the basics:

Setup:
    1. 90 Gallon Tank
    2. 20 Gallon Sump with Skimmer
    3. 29 Gallon Remote fuge - Feeds from Tank then returns to Sump (unable to bypass skimmer chamber with current setup).
    4. Started with 100(ish) pounds dry rock

Current Live Stock:
    1. 2 Clowns
    2. 1 Six-Line Wrasse
    3. 1 Tail spot Blenny
    4. 1 Yellow Tang
    5. Various Inverts

The tank has been up and running since the end of January. My fuge is crawling with all sorts of pods. I see them covering the glass (tried to get a picture... however nothing turned out). My Overflows have a decent number as well.

However... I am having trouble finding them in the main portion of my display. I'm blaming this on the fact that I don't have a nice background to see them against like I do in my overflow/fuge and the "shimmer" from my leds/nightlight making it hard to focus on the glass... but I could be wrong and not have what I need in my display tank.

Sooooo my question. Does this sound like I could be ready to add a mandarin? If not, are there any reasonable steps I could take to try and bolster my pod population in my display?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Seancelebrity

Seancelebrity Feather Duster

I would say yes. But I also have had a mandrine in my 29 gallon and it was also in my 20 for over a year. I use to just buy pods every so often but with your tank you shouldn't.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Adding some macro algae might help as well as feeding some type of phytoplankton to assist in boasting the population numbers. Of course you would want to research training and feeding methods/station, but I bet you already have. Always start with a good specimen. Sounds like you're ready to me.

5. Zechenia

Currently I have Chaeto in the fuge. But it doesnt seem to want to grow. I think my flow may be too slow through. It's got a nice thick coat of GHA right now.

Thinking of adding some others (esp Ulva or Gracilaria, so I can feed it to my tang), but haven't put much research into what will work well. I've had a few local people recommend Caulerpa, but that scares me based on how fast it's supposed to be able to spread.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I know some people have mentioned making a couple or one pile of rubble in your tank and then put pods in there so they can reproduce and not be eaten by your other fish as readily.

I think you're definitely ready BUT it would be ideal if you could get one that is eating prepared foods if you can find one.

7. Zechenia

Ok, I have a question related to that.

I have really porous rock. Lots of nooks and crannies, and holes that go all the way through it. Would that be enough to substitute for rock piles?

Additionally, I have thought of making those "Pod Condos" as a way to help bring pods from the fuge into the display

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well I am with you on avoiding Caulperpa introduction. Jake's tank thread shows some good Macro Algae choices for the display.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...gallon-seahorse-tank-139438.html#.UnQhQRB2A1k

You're tank is large but consider that a wrasse and the clowns(to limited extent) will be competing for pods as well. Consider for future live stock fish ones that do not pick at pods.

Moving balls of Chaeto from the fuge to the display (in a rotating manner) can help to introduce more desirable pod types to the display.

I am pretty confident that if you try some phyto feedings consistently and add different types of macro algae that will help.

Do you have a ton of hermits?

Look at this link as well

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/234487-the-marine-planted-tank-macro-algae-thread/

10. Zechenia

I don't have a ton of hermits, but def a few. I'll look into some different macro algae. It looks like reefs2go has a couple decently priced packs I might need to look into.

That tank is awesome. Sea Horse tanks seem to be the new interest of the local reef club here!

11. Fernando77

Fernando77 Astrea Snail

All I can tell you is they are awesome. Ive had one for 6 months and love it. They do need alot of rocks and good hiding places. Get one you wont regret it.

12. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

The 6 line wrasse worries me as well. Not only do they eat pod but I had one beat up on my mandarin pretty bad. Use caution.