Mandarin Pod's

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by coldshot, Apr 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I bought some Cheato 6 week's or so ago. I went day before yesterday and bought a Mandarin. The Cheato and all are in my D.T. How long before I would need to add more pod's and how often should I do this?
    Will it be okay to have a male and female Mandarin the same tank together?
    Some times I read about fish and it states only keep one in the tank. Will this apply to Mandarin's also?
    Danny

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

i dont have much experience with manderins but mine trys to bite its own reflection in the glass somtimes

1 person likes this.
  4. coldshot

It is not his reflection he is biting, He is eating Pod's...

5. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

I had success with 2 scooters (male/female) before but never tried with mandarins but I would assume they would be OK but let someone else chime in before making a decision.

As far as the pods, I would get some just in case just because you never have enough pods for a mandarin IMO.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Is this for the 55 gallon?? You have a fairly new 55 gallon tank and you are thinking of putting a second mandarin in the tank??? 1 mandarin is too many for a 55 as they constantly eat something you are going to have a hard time replinishing.

7. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

+1 on the 1 for the 55g. It is my favorite fish by far and i have done a fair bit of reading on them. I would say only the 1 but thats just me.

8. Click Here!

9. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

+1 i think one mandarin would be a handful in a 55 & it will decimate the supply of pods quicker than u might think & i would suggest looking into Packleader's idea of "Bucket-O-Pods" if you wanna keep plenty of food for your mandarin

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

You can't keep 2 males together. And 2 is too many. And the reflection thing, is probably a ticked mandarin trying to fight his reflection.

11. coldshot

Okay six post later stil no answer except a bunch of opinions I will try again...
    I bought some Cheato 6 week's or so ago. I went day before yesterday and bought a Mandarin. The Cheato and all are in my D.T. How long before I would need to add more pod's and how often should I do this?

12. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

It's not a cut and dry answer....

What size tank?

Do you have a fuge?

What tankmates?

Need info