Mandarin in a 10 gallon? Read on for my reasoning

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by duoc9119, May 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

My LFS has a great supply of Green Mandarins that are trained on pellets and frozen foods. I've spent a great deal of time at the place watching these little guys scurry around as well as feeding time. I've watched them for possibly 3 months and they have no problems eating frozen and pellets. So will one of these be fine in a 10 gallon tank?

I know many will go bonkers on why I need at least a 75 gallon tank and what not, but mainly because of the massive amount of pods it needs to eat. But if it already eats pellets and such I don't see a problem why it wouldn't work in a 10 gallon. Possibly a 20 depending on how much room I have in my dorm next year.

Thoughts and opinions? Advice?

2. Click Here!

3. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

I think these will be better off than a mandarin that doesn't eat prepared foods, but don't think it will be ok. My mandarin is constantly hunting and eating. They have a high metabolism and so need to eat constantly. So a good pod supply is still necessary.

4. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

a 10 is small not for pods but swiming room. i would say. a 20 min and offer frozen mysis with vitamins and i all goes bad (he gets skenny) have a back up plan for a large tank with pods but i see no prob. ;D

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

agrred on the swiming room more than teh food isue a 20 long might suit you better than a 10 IMO and I had one In my 20 tall with lots of rock work and pods but he chocked on a pice of sand :( so there alot more issues than food IMO

6. duoc9119

Hm a 20 is really tempting. lol But I'm currently juggling a 10 gallon tank with a purple dottyback and blood red hawkfish that I had to completely redo because of the unexpected hawk (literally unexpected, I brought the tank home for spring break because there was a month before I moved out for summer, gave my parents instructions for feeding and water changes, and when I finally moved out and got home there was the hawkfish :confused: my parents said having just the one purple dottyback was kind of lonely so they got the hawkfish :eek:. Should have added NO BUY FISH to the list of to-dos.)

And I am working on my Nano cube 28. Going to gut the hood and install rapid leds. Just need the cash for it first, which leads me to my finding a job problem. No one wants to hire someone for 3 months.

7. duoc9119

Sand?! I haven't heard of that before! :confused: Its usually the big fish that were fed feeders and then choked on the feeder, but a mandarin and sand??

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

it was a puice of sand i swear it got stuck in its throat and it suficated/starved :( I was really mad because I didnt think that could happen. but I wont get another untile I get my 75 up and running

10. duoc9119

So I should go with fine sand from Marco Rocks to avoid choking? I think I will look into a 20 gallon long. Maybe I will have enough room on my desk for it when I move in for next year.

11. rc_mcwaters3

it was a small manderin and it ya read my avatar I think that might help explain but I had medium grain sant and she found a small pice so I would try the finer grain if it was me. and where do ya live I have a 30 thats tha same deminsions as a 20 long I might be able to sell to ya

12. duoc9119

Thanks for the offer but I'm in the lone star state. I will see if I can find any cheap set ups around here. The most expensive part of this will be the lights, as usual, maybe I will do a 20 gallon long frag tank or something. I've got some ideas for one that I tried implementing (got the idea from a fellow 3reefer I can't remember his name but his thread was 120 gallons of love) but that went downhill when I came home to a new fish.