Mandarin Goby in a 28g nanocube

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by erik, Feb 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. erik

erik Spaghetti Worm

I am planning to get a mandarin goby in a couple of months. I know that they are extremely hard to take care of but i have a plan and i need to know if it will work, or if i should do anything more. I plan to have a refugium in the back of my JBJ 28g nanocube in the filter area with chaeto and LR rubble. I also plan to grow my own phytoplankton to feed the copepods, and add more live copepods daily. While i am doing this i will try to get the mandarin used to eating prepared foods. Do you think this will work, or has a chance of working?

2. Click Here!

3. Jumper

Jumper Feather Duster

add copepods daily? you mean by buying them? that's gonna be a pretty big bill. It's possible for the plan to work but you need to make sure you dont have any other fish that eat pods. As for raising phyto... you can just buy some phyto from the fish store; they sell it in bottles, like Kent Marine. Also I would contribute the tank to the mandarin only for a few months just to make sure it can get comfortable, especially if you have aggressive fish

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

5. erik

erik Spaghetti Worm

the only fish im going to have when i get it will be 2 clowns, as this will be in a couple months. also i forgot to mention i am building a pod pile. and thanks Clonefarmer ive read both of those before :D

6. Jumper

Jumper Feather Duster

As long as you can feed and raise pods you should be fine, not to mention keeping up with water changes.

7. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

supposedly they need like 100 pounds of live rock to be happy and so they have tons of pods.

that is going to be an expensive fish, its eats hundreds of pods a week..

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

i have never seen one live long in a small tank..i have only seem them in hundred gallon tanks and up long term..

10. Jumper

Jumper Feather Duster

maybe so but it is quite possible. I saw a video on youtube in which someone had quite a lot of fish in a 29 gallon Biocube, among them an ocellaris clown, a pinkbar goby I believe, a green mandarin, and even a six line wrasse (there were more fish but I can't remember at the moment). Seems ironic: you'd think it'd be difficult keeping 2 pod eating fish in a 29, but he's doing it successfully with pods from his refugium (biocube comes with it).

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

So how long has that tank on Youtube been running with that many fish (and a mandarin) in it successfully? Please, please don't believe everything you see on Youtube! Many times, those vids are taken right after they put a bunch of fish in, and you never see what happens over time, when they all start dying. No one videos (or admits) that part of it.

12. saints fan 420

yeah but how long was that fish living in there..idk when i buy something i plan on having it for a very long time..

i would love to have a mandarin in my 30 gallon and i have a fuge with tons of pods but it would wipe out my pod population in no time..they literally spend all there time hunting pods..