Unresolved Mandarin Dragonet covered in lice!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, May 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

I heard hyposalinity may work, I'd treat it like ich.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Ive got some Prazi in my medicine cabinet. I might give that a shot.

4. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

Does your tank have sand in it? Before I went bare bottom, my mandarin used to bury himself in the sand, and would wake up, all faded,with pods all over him...as they ran off, he would eat away. When you talk about sea lice, I can only think of the sea lice I see on King Salmon, they live at the base of the anal fin. Never seen them in a tropical reef tank before.

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

No he is in a barebottom qt. However, I havent seen the same little critters since that one morning. They seem to have dissapeared?? He is very active and picks at the rocks constantly. Currently attempting to get him to eat blood worms. I hope I can get him eating prepared foods soon. I am going to treat with Prazi though.

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I bet that's what it was. I had my first Mandarin in a bare bottom tank for a short time while the DT was being set up. When he slept, the smaller pods would crawl all over him. He didn't seem to care.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

It's very very very rare for mandarins to get parasites given the nature of their skin and slime coat. I have imported thousand upon thousands and never once seen one with a parasite.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Ive heard this and read it time and time again. So I hope your right. The main reason I am quartining this fish to get him to eat prepared foods...which btw I havent had much luck with yet. I think you guys are right...they must of been tiny little pods. Crazy!

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am hatching some brine shrimp now. How should I offer them to the guy?

11. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

There was a decent read on how to get these guys to eat recently but I'm having trouble finding it on my phone...