Manajo and aiptasias

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by rookie reefer, Jul 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

aiptasia-X worked very well for me for a while. Now they're starting to come back. It may be worth a try... turn all your flow pumps off when you apply aiptasia-x.

Good luck... that's a lot of them! I agree with what was said earlier... if you kill so many of them in your tank, you risk a big ammonia spike. Run lots of carbon if you do.

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

My suggestion comes from my point of view as to what i would do if it was me.He is asking for advise,there is no way he can kill all of them without spiking the water,and what about the ones he can't see or get to.he would have to battle them for the life of the tank.But just a suggestion.

4. rookie reefer

rookie reefer Astrea Snail

thanks for the help i think i will nuke them because they are on all the rock so that seems like it will be the best answer

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

What kind of corals do you have in those rocks? Definitely try to save them by either chiseling the a piece of rock if the base is not widely spread, or fraging them. I'm sorry you have to do this, but I agree with what was said earlier... they're definitely out of control. They look like Majano anemone. Aiptasia's have way thinner tentacles... at least the ones I had.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

kalkwasser paste. will kill them.

7. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Yes but I guess what people are getting at iss they are so many of them then by injecting them they would lead to toxins being released after death Which is true and is they suggest nuking.

You basically have 3 options.
    1.nuking all the rocks
    2.Lethal Injection
    3.Make them a food source.

Now we know option 2 is out. I know nudbranches eat aiptaisa but im unsure of Majenos however I would atleast explore and make sure that there is or isnt somthing out there that can handle the problem for you before I conclude to option 1. all im saying

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

looking at his profile pic, his tank is pretty sizeable. I wouldn't worry about the toxins from a single rock of anems. you could even do it in two pieces.

10. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Aiptaisa is a real bummer. I nuke mine with boiled water and vinigar.... since they don't have those products over here in spain. Worked quite well but they keep coming back, so nuking the rock is a good idea.
    Best of luck to you!

11. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

I would try another peppermint. I think you got a dud. I had a pretty bad outbreak of aiptasia in my fuge a few months ago. Two peppermint shrimp mowed through every single one in less than a couple weeks. Haven't seen one aiptasia ever since.

12. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Yeah but guys he doesnt have aiptaisa he has majenos. Totally diffrent ball game and I dont know if peppermints eat them.

I dont think its a single rock. I believe he said they are probably all over his tank and im willing to bet so too given the amount that are just on the one rock in the picture.