Malu anemone ???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jeth1979, Feb 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

hi guys, i wonder if you could help me out on something.
    im not to hot on anemones and wondered if anyone knew much about the malu anemone.not sure what exact species it is, as you may see from the attachments it is orangey/brown in colour with purple dots on the end of the tentacles. i bought it a few days ago at my lfs. it was fine for 2 nights. i then fed it some thawed out squid(it was frozen).for a day or so i thought it was going to certainly die as it went very small and blew up with all the tentacles deflated. it then spat out the squid and now seems to be fine, with that it also seems to of doubled in size, now being around 12 inches big. however i am still a little worried as a few of the tentacles are still deflated
    i just wondered if any of you guys have one of these anemones and what do you feed it on/how hardy are they.(not squid i guess!!)lol

just for the record i have a 3ft tank with two protein skimmers,2 external filters(ehiem) and an arcadia 3 light unit, which has 150w halide.is that enough lighting for it???
    many thanks, hope someone could shed some light on this for me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

malu anemone

just thought i would add that since posting first article the anemone has started to excrete from its mouth again. it"s like a sticky mucus thats brown in colour and very sticky. is that a good sign??im guessing not. help!!!!:(

4. vanpyre

vanpyre Flamingo Tongue

you might find he is dying do you have a temp tank??

i think squid is too chewy for these things, so it dont look good, you have a few options, if you have no fish leave him and see if he pulls through, or move him to another tank or bin him, up to you but he aint well that ooze is his defence, it might start to kill the fish

5. vanpyre

vanpyre Flamingo Tongue

p.s wack you protein skimmer up to a very wet skim and do a water change about 20% i'd do

6. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

help appreciated

hey thanks guys, i think i shall do a decent water change in the morning and see how he goes from there, its so weird because it literally seems fine and dandy one minute, then it turns bad within the next!!!!!!
    all your help really is appreciated guys(and gals) just hope it lasts till the morning!!!!! i will also just add that i"ve been getting as much of the slime out as i can manually with a net etc, thats the only reason i know its horrible and slimy, trouble is its getting late and i cant go on doing it much longer!!!!!!!!!!:-/

1 person likes this.
  7. vanpyre

vanpyre Flamingo Tongue

i'm in uk too, i had a anem go into a power head, i was up till 3am changing water, stick your skimmer on high and you should be ok till morning, good luck matey

8. Click Here!

9. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

thanks man, i have cranked both skimmers up full notch. as i say its so bizarre, that thumbnail/pic was taken only n hour or so ago, and within the last 20 mins its just gone down hill!!!!! i shall let you know how i get on in the am!!! thanks again, just wish i knew more about it before i bought it!!! cheers

10. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

i see clowns in the pics, only 2? haveing too many clowns use/fight over an anenome is harmful to the anenome. right now i would separate the symbiosis until the anenome perks up....

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

moving him will certainly cause more stress, I would just leave him be, I'm sure it would be like how you would feel after eating 3 week old soup left out in the sun :sick:

try giving it some shrimp or silversides when he looks better, might be more natural to him. I'm not too sure how much if any squid they eat in the wild...?

12. jeth1979

jeth1979 Flamingo Tongue

wow thanks for all the help everyone, now im starting to get somewhere. ok so i woke up early today to find him back to his usual massive size looking quite happy, its like he wasn"t even ill!!! do you guys still think i should do a 20% water change or leave it be.?? also do you think it was the squid?ive checked my water parameters this morning and they all seem normal. im going to lfs in a little while and going to get some cyclopeeze and silverside and water. see which it prefers i guess. as with regards to the clowns, yeah i only have the pair which where my first two fish(got them around 18 months ago). i still don"t know much about these anemones, im guessing your right they dont eat much squid!!!lol. thanks again for all your help ppl