Making your SPS happy

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by HeiHei29er, Jun 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

How long do you let a coral get comfortable with the conditions at a spot in the tank before moving it if there's no growth?

I have an ORA Gecko Green (acropora) and a Idaho Grape (Monti Cap) that seem to be stalled out. Neither has any bleaching or signs of necrosis, but neither has really grown at all in the 6+ weeks since placing them and I never see any polyps out. The other SPS corals in my tank (Stylo, BN, Cali Tort, Purple tort, Monti Spongodes, Orange Digi, Red Planet) are all showing good PE and growth.

The conditions seem right based on what I've read, but I know that just because I think they should do well there doesn't mean that they will. I'm just hesitant to move them because they aren't showing any signs of dieing off. Hoping that it's just a matter of time and they will eventually come around.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I have a stag that doesn't want to put its polyps out either. I've had it for about the same time, still bright red, but it seldom puts its polyps out. I did notice a little encrusting, however- which is the case with my other SPS too (Great PE with them too).

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Where do you have them in the tank?

5. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

You can see them in this FTS. Right hand side. Gecko Green is on the new piece of rock to the left of the Green Sinularia. Idaho Grape is to the right of it and slightly lower.

[​IMG]

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I see no problem where they're at. Maybe it's taking a little longer to adjust.

7. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

That's what I'm hoping. Neither has changed color or lost tissue, so I think they're still alive. The cap even developed a white spot and I thought it was a goner. But, it healed itself in just a couple of days.

However, I have a purple tort frag that needs a home and if the Gecko doesn't come around, it's getting moved. :)

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

your tank really is beautiful!

1 person likes this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1,

If a coral has good color and looks fine I try not to mess with it.

You will drive yourself nuts trying to get the best PE, growth and color from every coral in your tank.

Sounds like over all the other corals are doing well, so consider yourself luck.

:)

1 person likes this.
  11. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Thanks a bunch OFK. I appreciate the kind words.

+1 on this.

The part that's driving me nuts is that they're right next to each other, but I can't come up with anything that is drastically different in that part of the tank. :-/

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora