Making the plunge into SPS!!!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Gabby, Aug 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

My tank has been set up and stable with great parameters for 2.5 years now, and I've dabbled in sps a little (I have a pocillopora and some kind of purple plating thing I picked up at a swap, both happy and healthy). Sooo... I ordered a few corals from Reef Pets on their auction last night, and by a few, I mean NINE because I wanted to make the shipping worth it.

I know it's a lot of corals to put in at once, so I'm thinking of making my 29 gallon a grow-out/QT tank with some extra equipment I've got. My tank has been ready for sps for a while, but I'm excited and scared all at the same time!! I'm somewhere between: What have I done?!? and My tank is gonna be awesome!! :eek:

Do you think the grow out tank is necessary, or would it be ok to just add them all in (they're really tiny)?

Here's pics of what I ordered, more pics when they arrive on Tuesday!

Ahhhh!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Gary has some nice stuff grats!

4. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

Thank you! I'm really excited :D

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Awesome, congrats. I bid ($5) on a few for fun last night (no room for them, however). I don't recall bidding on those specifically, but sorry if I drove up your costs lol.

6. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

wow, beautiful pieces man. the colors are just so amazingly blended with one another, that's what I love about SPS the most. I wanna get a few pieces too when i set up the 40B. good luck with them!

7. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

Great pieces. Send pix when in your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Beautiful frags, Gabby. Congratulations. :)

To answer your concern, it won't hurt anything to put all of them in your DT. Fish are the only thing that can spike your bioload by adding too many at once.

10. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

Thanks guys, I can't wait for them to arrive, and will definitely post pics when they do! I know they won't look exactly the same under my T5's, but I'm hoping they color up nicely if I put them towards the top. I read somewhere (LA maybe?) that the Cyphastrea Meteor showers are supposed to be towards the bottom, and even shaded a bit. Does anyone have experience with these? Should I put them in the middle since I only have a 4x T5 fixture?

And thanks, Mr. Bill, I might just put them straight into my DT. :)

11. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

LOL Kevin, sorry if I swiped some of yours! I actually ended up winning more than I intended to, and was wondering if any 3Reef members were bidding on the ones I got... worried I might ruffle some feathers by posting my treasures ::)

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Not a problem, I was relieved I didn't win and fully anticipated that I wouldn't (I placed one big of $5 on 8 pieces hours before the end hour). I was just bidding for the experience really; I'll really bid when it's upgraded. I have a 55 gallon cycling and will be upgrading soon, so adding new coral now would be a terrible idea, especially with the limited space I have now. Not much room on my rock.