Making live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by pavelow360, Aug 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pavelow360

pavelow360 Feather Duster

I started this hobby in April and also took a real interest in making my own LR. I got some cement from the local "we have everything" store and mixed up a batch of rock. I started soaking my home made live rock (HMLR) in freshwater with a couple small powerheads to keep the water flowing. I would change the water and rinse off the HMLR every 3 days or a week or so. It has been a couple months and the PH did not go down. I took 2 small pieces and put them both in small plastic cups, one with saltwater for about 3 days and the other in pure vinegar for about 8 or 12 hours. The good news is the vinegar got the PH down to an exceptable level. The bad news is, the rock crumbled easily. I am at a loss for what to do next. I have read that this method is very successful but the vinegar does weaken the rock. I could not tell you what type of cement I am using because I am in Japan and it was quite a chore finding the stuff as it is. Is there a type of cement that (#1, #2 or #3) that stands up better to the vinegar soaking?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I used Portland cement.. you can see my thread here.

I can't answer specifically about the vinegar but I did use a large kiddie pool to cure and did a lot of water changes ... so a lot of water volume while curing... what did you use?

4. pavelow360

i put it in a plastic storage box. I am not sure of the water capacity at the moment.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hmmm... :-/

For me it did take a while. Maybe someone can step in about the vinegar. I will tag a long. What else did you use besides cement?

6. pavelow360

I actually read your thread already...I remember you talking about those bugs...;D

7. pavelow360

Crushed coral and sand... 1 part cement, 2 part sand and 3 part crushed coral

8. Click Here!

9. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

From what i have read up on this it is supposed to be diluted vinegar you soak them in, and it is done for the first weeks soak. as far as the slow cure a solid rock will cure slower then a pours one. plus the ph of your water will play a factor in it to.