Making A Reef, Lesson:LIGHTING

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by cuttingras, Aug 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Making A Reef, Lesson: LIGHTING & BULBS

I say we keep going with it. One person handing it over to the next. Let's see what good advice we can give. No digs or debates. If you think a person is good at something, have them write the next part of the lesson, "This leads to this(person 1), then to this(person 2), then to this(person 3...etc..)".....you get my point. If you don't agree, then wait your turn and tell about something you are know a lot about. Then pass it on........Make the Title: "Making A Reef Tank, Lesson: underline and CAP your lesson"
    copy and paste this to the top of your post.

Here's a little on Lighting(IMO):

This is just one small, expensive, but Required piece of equipment, for a successful reef tank. Fish benefit from it too. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Everything needs light. Without light everything is null and void, there is NOTHING, without light.

The correct lighting determines what kind of fish, corals, inverts and plants you can have, along with a host of other things. There are so many factors that go into selecting lights. Do you plan a fish only tank and are sure you will never ever wants corals. I'm give you a minute to think about it. :thinking2 O.K........, Minute's done. Not one person, that I have met, since I've been in the salt water hobby(Dec 2001), has ever started with FOWLR and NOT ended up with a full blown reef. Plan ahead. It happens. Plan to spend a good chunk of change for Excellent lighting. Don't go cheap. You'll end up buying better, over and over, until you've had enough of junk and saved for Excellent lights.

Here's a good chart I like. It's from Dr.'s Foster & Smith's Web site. There are a lot more charts out there, however, I feel this one the best for beginners to get their feet wet. It explains it in terms they understand.
    [​IMG]

If you are going for fish only, you can go for whatever your budget or spouse will allow ;) Compact Fluorescents do a great job and you can even keep a few soft corals. A Few. Most pretty reasonably priced. I don't see a whole lot of difference in the brands of C.F.'s. Can get pretty warm, will need fan or chiller.

Mixed fish and a few harder to keep corals, then go for the T5s' or VHO's. You will be able to keep more kinds corals.(I'll leave that lesson to one who has more experience) You will pay more for VHO's and T5's. Don't put out a lot of heat.

Next brings us up to MH or Metal Halide. What can I say about MH's. Hmmm...ok you want the good or the bad first? I'll start with the good. :) Bright light that every coral and fish and plant in the ocean(and everything on land) depends on for survival. MH brings that to you. You get shimmer effects, which some say aids in inhabitant growth and overall sustainability. MH's are the closest thing to sun shine that has ever been man made. If that makes any sense. Hopefully it does and I haven't bored you to tears yet. The world of heat. Heat is good in the winter and not in the summer. A lot of you come from places where Air Conditioning is an Option not a requirement. I'm the latter. MH's use a lot more electricity than any other bulb. That in turn makes more heat. More heat mean higher water temperature, which in-turn means a chiller or a bunch of fans, or even so drastic as to install a vent, from your central, A/C if you have it, to over your tank. This will make your A/C work harder which in-turn makes the electric bill go up. And that's not even saying how much energy they(MH) actually draw(PSSSST........a lot!). Plus, they are expensive.

Metal Halides are, right now, in 2008 the best thing going. :-/

Welcome to the 21st Century! New fangled LED. Or Light Emitting Diode. They are relatively new, so costs are high. I don't know anyone who has them to fully light their tank. I know plenty who have them for their moon lights. I have them myself and they are wonderful. You can watch all your critters at night and occasionally, see things you might want to get out of your tank Use very little electricity and bulb life is very long...Very Expensive!

O.K...Bulbs, so many to choose from.........I'm still working on that, so I think I'll hand the floor over to Tangster. He's very good with lighting and bulbs, so....if he wouldn't mind.......:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:;);D I love you man..... :lol:

P.S. I pm'd Tangster and begged his forgiveness and asked for his input.(announcing this makes it harder fro him to say no.:devil1::angel:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
    3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I read through this in the other thread. Very helpfull info gras. Looks like sticky material to me. And a contributor badge......

1 person likes this.
  4. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

LOL Tangster can't back out now. Looking forward to more lessons from the wise. Thanks gras!

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL I'll add something tomorrow Just took some meds a bit ago and I'm about worn out today I pushed myself a bit to much even had shoes on LOL Then That Guy !!! popped in for a bit and we where getting some stuff together for shipping . Guy is a god send and a heck of a knowledgeable reefer Happy he turned up when he did . Now we have someone else to brain pick ;) Oh as for the LEDs and knowing anyone ?? We do and they are not there yet we have a few sets at the shop and on clinets systems That Guy got a call on them the other week LOL Maybe he will chime in ?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Thank you Tangster! ;D;D Makes my heart sing!

Thank you Mission...Makes this bowling ball on top of my shoulders grow even bigger ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  7. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

Some Guy? What guy?

LED's are a great CONCEPT but, if you have ever been to the MOMA in NYC you will realize that conceptual art isnt very good! We have 2 of the Solaris fixtures at the shop and both are already malfunctioning! We also have the solaris on a clients tank... Needless to say it needs to be taken out and sent off to be repaired as well. I have heard better reviews about the aquaillumination but havent seen one in action so i cant give a real opinion. Personally Im a T5HO kinda guy...I like metal halides but they have more downsides for my setup. First off metal halides run really hot so you will most likely need a chiller, most people use some sort of flourescent lamps for actinic supplementation anyway (ironic...why not just use tubes if they give you the color you are after?), metal halide lamps are expensive, the need to be changed more frequently, they cost a lot more $$ to run as far as electricity is concerned, and you are kinda limited to a specific range in the spectrum.
    T5's on the other hand have more colors to choose from than the homo rainbow! they run a lot cooler so you can more easily get away without a chiller, the lamps last longer before the spectrum shifts and intensity drops off, they are less money for the lamps and to run, and they make my tank pertty!
    Now dont get me wrong metal halides are great if you have a deep tank (+24") and you cant beat that shimmer effect!!! So each individual setup and personal preference will determine which is best for you. For me ill be sticking with my T5's :)

8. Click Here!

9. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Hopefully no one gets offended at this- I had to laugh at the Ween/South Park line!

Why the heck don't any of you guys runs shops in CA so I can get decent gear and advice?

10. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

Awesome!!! i wasnt sure if there were any Ween fans out there that would catch that!!! I just saw them in Brooklyn NY! Great band!! haha

11. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

id just like to add a lil observation ive made, all the corals ive bought came from tanks with intense metal halide lighting, the difference in all the corals color( mostly the green florescent colors) is amazing , none of the corals i have got from halide setups ever compared to the color i get after they are under my t5's for a while.

now this may be backwards to what alot of people think, so its just an observation ive made in my tank. but a very noticable observation. anyone else notice coral color differences between lighting setups.? could be a good subject!

love t5's!!!

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You know that Guy ???? LOL Man I was worn out last night to much going on yesterday By time I posted that I had put a pain patch on my foot and nerve and pain pill in me and also a Stop the Nerve's from jumping pill also :) Some Guy that Guy what guy , Sat here looking at T.V for a 1.1/2 Hrs and went what am I watching and why :confused:O.K fixed it That Guy My bad .. :)