$$$Makin frag money$$$

Discussion in 'Frags' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Please, enlighten me on the subject of selling frags. Who do you sell to? LFS? The idea of making money off of the hobby I love fascinates me. If it will bring in any significant profit I would love to frag.

2. Click Here!

3. gorillacrab

gorillacrab Astrea Snail

Ebay is a great way to make cash on frags. I know the idea sounds crazy but if you have rare/beautiful corals that you can frag, it's a great way to get your name out there. Other great options are craigslist or local fish stores. Saltwater enthusiasts are always looking to trade or purchase new corals.

4. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

You make a frag rack put it in a tank fill it with frags and tell friends your selling frags.Also use craigslist.

5. gorillacrab

gorillacrab Astrea Snail

use egg-crating from home depot to make the rack, its a cheap type of industrial lighting cover - very easy to cut

6. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Significant profit definitely not. Profit at all ... highly unlikely.

Selling frags is however a good way to recover some costs of our very expensive hobby.

Without having a huge facility built specifically to aquaculture corals or operating a chop shop... its unlikely to be profitable out of your home unless you have very expensive, very sought after pieces ... and even then ... growth usually won't keep up with the cost of just maintaining our tanks.

I usually prefer to trade ... its a good way to spread corals throughout the hobby!

7. SwimsWithFish

I made a frag rack Last night with some misc egg crate so that's covered. I'm thinking I'll just frag and Let the recover in the frag rack, then sell them on my local clubs buy/sell section. People sell frags there all the time! Haha and by "significant" I ment anything at all:)

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

To actually make significant profit from frags you will have to have a large tank and let your stuff grow for at least 1-2 years minimum until they are large enough to cut on profitable levels.
    I find that going to swaps at frag clubs (the bigger the city the better) is the best way to make money. I have friends that will come away from a 1 day swap with a couple thousand and upwards of 10k off of a big city weekend long swap.

10. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Then yup ... you can do that lol

Selling frags for me was a pain in the butt because I live so far from the closest aquarium society (550 miles)

The other piece of advice that I would pass on is ... wait before you cut.

I found that I stalled the progress of my reef, because I was gung ho to frag and make some trades.

SPS grow super slow ... and if a branch is growing a 1/2" a month per branch ... then it grows a lot more when there is a lot more branches

Acans and Zoanthids were one for me that I fragged a lot as well and the colonies never took off. Remember, the bigger they get ... the faster they will grow ...

11. SwimsWithFish

If I do sell it won't be for a while. And mostly zoas shrooms candy cane and torch.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

If you dont get money, you could always get credits at the LFS.