MakersLED trying to go big with slick LED kits

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

MakersLED is hoping the match the success of BANGGAI RESCUE on Kickstarter but their mission is quite different - they want to mass produce high-quality LED kits with attractive heatsinks and a commercial look so our DIY project doesn't look DIY. It's a cool idea by Andy and Mark McClure - two hobbyists with engineering backgrounds that helped design and launch the AI fixture in 2007. A nice twist on pledges made to MakersLED is that they will count as a pre-order on a fixture if they get funding. Less than two weeks left, so if you like them, be sure to make a pledge today.

[​IMG]
    Rendering of a MakersLED kit

Hat-tip to 3reefer Inertiatic for bringing MakersLED's Kickstarter fundraiser to my attention. In his own words:

I love the idea of any DIY project for our tanks. The one drawback from DIY is that they usually look like they were made at home. When it comes to LED fixtures on the market, they look sharp, but are pricey. Many of us have turned to making our own fixture which lets us customize our spectrum and save some money, but are stuck with our LEDs attached to an ugly heat sink.

This is where MakersLED comes in. They are trying to produce a quality heat sink that is aesthetically pleasing and costs a fair price. The heat sink is a quality aluminum with five rows that fit standard 20mm star LEDs. With the design of the rows, each LED is screwed into place but can be moved and/or replaced at any time. There are also holes on the backs of the heat sink which allow for attachment of Mean Well drivers. These sides come with covers if one decides not to attach a driver there.

Each 12’’ of heat sink ordered comes with a 92mm fan, a fan cover, assembly hardware, acrylic splash guard, plugs for mounting hardware, enough bolts and nuts for 25 LEDs, and plastic end caps to clean up the ends.

A 12’’ heat sink costs $60 shipped, 2’ costs $110, 3’ costs $155, and it scales upwards in the same fashion. There is also a 6’’ nano version for $50.

The pledging/ordering is done through Kickstarter.com, so there is a deadline for orders. We have until April 9th to put our orders in.

<iframe frameborder="0" height="360px" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/makersled/makersled-diy-high-power-led-fixtures-0/widget/video.html" width="480px"></iframe>

MakersLED Kickstarter site:
    MakersLED - DIY High Power LED Fixtures by Andy & Mark McClure &mdash; Kickstarter

MakersLED Web site:
    MakersLED | The Versatile LED Fixture System

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Nice, i posted something about this a couple of weeks ago. Im from Iowa and we recently just had our spring frag swap and MakersLED was there showing off their product. Funny how all these LED companys are spring up in Ames, IA. (AI and MakersLED)

4. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

$27g short with 10 days to go though.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah that is a steep hill!
    That is why I posted this to try and help out.

matt

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Oh, no I agree. They look slick and I definitely like the design. They been quite the buzz across the net & other forums, I was just really suprised to still see it that low.

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

If only I knew what my next tank upgrade would be, i would then buy whatever size and get to work on a custom build.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well a pledge isn't out of pocket unless they make their goal.. hmmm...

ok..

I just pledged $110.. if they make it, I'll give the fixture away on 3reef. :)

Congratulations!
    You are now an official backer of MakersLED - DIY High Power LED Fixtures.

matt

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

If I didn't just do my build I'd help out! Those heatsinks would be a dream! Maybe rapid needs to put them to work!;)

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Thats what i was thinking as well.

12. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

if it gets close I will pledge. 27k is a long ways out. They need a private investor