Make your own Live Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by cuttingras, Aug 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Has anyone here ever made their own Live Rock or known someone who has?? I'm thinking about giving it a shot.. Looks like it takes about 6-8 weeks to fully cure but worth a try. I found this at a site called GARF...(ya'll probably know about it already, I'm slow..not short bus slow, just slow)
    http://www.garf.org/

They have really nice wallpapers for the puter too!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

yeah, whenever i start setting up my aquarium again, i'll be using GARf's aragocrete and grunge... i decided to do that, because i don't want to deal with aiptasia and other bad stuff, AND because i don't want to take the time to learn to make my own...
    I'm also unashamed to say that i will be going by the "bulletproof reef" recipe... not exactly by the books, mainly because i already have a T5HO light setup as opposed to their standard fluorescent lights... so, starting in the next couple of months, expect to see a new thread by me, either a day by day, or week by week journal..
    i'm choosing to try the bulletproof reef for 2 reasons... to find out firsthand if its possible or not, and if it is, to prove to everyone else that it is possible... Everything is so perfectly weighed, that i can't decide if its good or bad... i just feel like most people are afraid to try it because they've always been told about the "requirements" of higher lighting (metal halide, etc.)... another thing i've heard people complain about, is the use of the SeaChem supplements... I'll test the water before and after I add anything in there

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I have had a 100 lb bag of cement in the back of my car now for a couple of weeks to just do that. Not because my tank needs any, but just for the fun of it.

Does look like the trick is to make sure you "cure" it well - 6-8 weeks.

Was planning to just dump it stream flowing near house for couple of months. Would have just in case someone in neighborhood wanted some.

Here is the best link I found on recipe.

Have fun!

The Complete Cookbook for Making Live Rock from Cement and Other Types of Rock.

5. cuttingras

Very good article!! Gives me hope that I can do this lol I'm going to our local hardawre/cement store today!

6. natural blue

natural blue Plankton

Wow- I am getting some grunge right away!
    Thank you for this great link!
    :tongue4:;D;)

7. cuttingras

I thought about getting some Grunge too, to "reseed" my sand. It's been in the tank for 6 years and has goen thru some pretty catastropic stuff, recently. I think it might be in need of good things, not the bad... I will get some when I cure the rock.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

10. cuttingras

Matt, would you post some current pics of your rock, since it should be fully Live now? Also, have you ever used the Grunge stuff from GARF?

11. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

I amde my rock over a year ago base on garf and it turned out to a neat project. Today you cant tell the difference between the live rock to seed and the DIY.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 months ago

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let the rock sit for at least a week before you soak it. And test the Ph before you put it in your tank.
    Al

12. cuttingras

That looks awesome!!!!!!! Did you use grunge?