Make this go viral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Dingo, Jul 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I don't mean this to take away from your thread, Dingo, but I was wondering something..... After some of the comments that came out of Australia after the "BOMBING", they have taken away a lot of credibility from their plights. I have to be honest, I thought to myself "Is this really an issue or is this another "Super power dropping bombs the the Great Barrier Reef". Anyone else or am I just one of "those" people.

4. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

If i understand this right, they will basically just make a route for transporting ships across the Great Barrier Reef. This might be quite damaging to the coral reef in the long run. If they keep contaminating the waters around Great Barrier Reef, the corals reefs will die out, and alot of other things will die out aswell. Great Barrier Reef is not just a ecosystem for itself, but for the entire world. Think, that the oceans (Where live fish and invertebrates mainly come from coral reefs) will drain ALOT of co2 out of our atmosphere, which is very important to keep our planet "alive and thriving". For this reason i think its a bad idea. I also know for sure, that Great Barrier Reef is something i'm gonna use for my future as a marine biologist (hopefully). Its my dream to become a marine biologist, and move to Australia to research Great Barrier Reef. This coral reef already has enough problems too. Marine biologists that study the new species around the coast of eastern Australia, says that thousands of species of bacteria, small invertebrates, corals, and some fish are getting extinct each day. Its horrible. Its our fault. Lets make a change. Coral reefs are the most alien-like and beautiful places on earth.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Not quite what I was saying. I was just wondering if anyone was tainted by the last bit of poo poo that came out of there.

6. Boywithafishtan

Oh sorry, didnt mean to insult you in any way. I was just trying to say that we have to do anything for this place, and if anything threatens it (Which could be us) we should find a solution :) But yes, it can be a little overkill to stop everything, but its really just such a precious and beautiful place.

7. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

Well after a while yes, people get somewhat cynical. The whole hoohaw around unloading some unarmed bombs some miles from the reef (a rather insignificant case of pollution, amounting to less than 1% of the daily pollution caused by tourism), and some are involuntarily thinking "aren't these environmentalists full of baloney?"...

But no. A freight route is no small thing. In fact, ocean freight, while being one of the pillars holding up out civilization, is also one of the most harmful things we are doing to the planet, discharging an incredible amount of pollutants every day.
    While that is something we need time to solve, what we CAN do is make sure that we don't route freighters over highly vulnerable natural reserve areas, like coral reefs. So this case is valid, and the petition should be signed by everyone who has a thing for ocean ecosystems, or just for the Earth in general.

8. Click Here!

9. Boywithafishtan

I completely agree. However, the people who are going to ship things over the coral reefs are gonna be very angry, and there might even be problems with economy, since its also cheaper, to just sail right ahead instead of sailing all the way around it. But i would say that nature, is more important than money! :)

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Yes. Agreed. But last week I would have just signed it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Not just you at all. I find it a bit peculiar... and convenient... that suddenly the GBR is in real danger so soon after it was "bombed". Being a wildlife sanctuary protected by the Australian government... you get the point.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Make sure y'all read the link, though, I don't wanna deter.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013