Make It Stop!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by vdhillon2, Aug 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

Hi everyone,
    After a long day i've finally made my Refugium. Although everything is still empty i've just put a little sand at the bottom. And have been running it for about an hour just to make sure its all working properly. I have an overflow box i got from a Wet/Dry. This is in my living room, so the noise from the overflow is killing me. It just keeps making the gurgling noise. It won't stop. i've tried everything, but it just keeps goin. Any ideas. There is about a 3 inch pipe inside the outside overflow, and the U tube is about 1 inch below the water line created by pipe (does that make sense?) Any help would be great.
    Finally though its done...now i can create a profile that won't change...for now.
    thanks,
    vinnie

2. Click Here!

3. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Is the 3" pipe open at the top? If so, that is probably where the gurgle is coming from. If you take a pipe larger that the 3" pipe and put it over the 3" pipe it will cut the noise quite a bit. Make sure the outer pipe is large enough to allow free flow into the inner pipe. E.G. if the inner pipe is 1" I.D. it will be 1.25 or so O.D. I would not go with anything smaller than 1.75 or 2" for the outer pipe. I have a little picture which I will put in if I can figure out how.

4. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

thanks, a picture would help out alot, cause i really don't understand what you mean by that. But yes the pipe is open on the top, i can see basicaly a "whirlpool" forming while being sucked down causing most of the gurgling.
    thanks

5. Michaelr5

Well Let's try this. Hey! it worked! ;D

BTW I just realized that although the picture does not show the waterline, the bottom of the larger pipe should be below the waterline.

The pins can be plastic or stainless, something that will not react to the salt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  6. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

Am i correct to assume that the top of the new pipe is closed? so that the water enters from the bottom.
    thanks though, the diagram is great.

7. Michaelr5

Sorry, yes the top is capped.

8. Click Here!

9. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

One thing that i tried is to put a small piece of hose maybe .5 inch diameter down into the midle of the whirlpool this hose worked for in the past but you do have to tweak it quite a bit, this hose lets the overflow suck air through it instead of the water.

hope this helps

Peter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Right, airline tubing works well.... ;D

11. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

A bio ball will also help, just drop it on top of the pipe

12. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

BL i tried the airline tubing, it seemed to work for a while, but then it just started making the noise again. I even tried putting an airpump on the end of the tube, and that seemed to work great, but then every 15 seconds or so there would be this huge gurgle of air released.
    Bio balls huh? i'll try that too, otherwise its off to HD for some piping. Thanks guys for the ideas.