Major rookie mistake need help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SteelerMike, May 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

So, I was checking my salinity and my refractometer read 1.030 so I was concerned that my salinity had risen as I had neglected to top off in the last few days so I added 5gallons of of fresh water and then It dawned on me that I forgot to calibrate my refractometer. Sure enough, it was off and now that I re calibrated it my salinity is all the way down to 1.021. My tank is a 125 with a few beginner corals, frogspawn, leather a few zoos and a bicolor blenny, and 3 fish I added yesterday...a small yellow tang (2.5 inches), a small royal gramma and a small six line wrasse. I was mixing fresh salt water for a water change tomorrow and now don't know what to do. Should I add a little water with higher salinity tonight...should I just mix my salt at the normal level and just add it? I usually keep it around 1.026. Are my fish and corals in immediate danger due to the sudden change. Kindoffreaking out that I may have just made a big mistake. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

That's kind of a drop kinda quickly.

WC with your normal SG and let it rise up again, and hopefully things will be OK.

Don't be too radical.

4. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

just add salt and get it where it needs to be...it will be fine..ive made mistakes like that...no sweat.

5. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

6. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

whoops. accidental post.

dont keep adding to your mistake by making your tank undergo a huge change again. making radical changes in a tank is not good but just watch it and do your best to slowly get it back to where you want it. slow is the way to go. i have found, being a noob myself that you will make mistakes but just realizing what you did is step one. take it with a grain of salt, no punn, and it will pull through

7. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

1.021 is low but its not going to kill anything...

8. Click Here!

9. SteelerMike

Just mix a little salt in some water and dump it in?

10. SteelerMike

Sounds like a few different opinions here.... Maybe just go with a water change tomorrow with water that is 1.026 and that may average out to say 1.024?

11. kenny951

kenny951 Bristle Worm

ya in a 5 gal bucket. luke warm water. add the salt you need to get it back up alittle. sture it up good and dump it in...its not a big issue in my book.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Do not do this!

If you're refratometer was that off, chances are its been off for awhile, and thus your salinity. I'd just make your regular WC's at the salinity you want, and just do more of them over the next few weeks until ya get where ya want! Never rush anything in this hobby!

Good luck