Majestic Angelfish Concern

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Ryland, Feb 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Ive had a Majestic Angel in my tank for well over a year. 125 gallon tank. He is my most prized fish by far. I have picked every single coral in my tank make sure it is compatible with him. For nearly a week now he has been in hiding and is not eating. He is approximately 5-6 inches with full adult coloration. No marks, no spots, no swelling, no mucus, no cloudy eyes, nothing about him looks out of the ordinary. Today when I fed my tank I thought just for a minute he was going to come out and eat but no such luck. He just sat close to his hole in the rocks and watched the food float by and showed no interest. Anybody care to give me some thoughts here? BTW I recently added a Branching Hammer. I dont know if this would matter but I have seen him brush up against it a couple times. Could it be stinging him? Ive had another Hammer in my tank for a long time just a different variation.
    Params
    PH 8.1
    Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia all 0
    Phos 0-.5
    Cal 460
    ALK 8.9
    Mag 1300
    SPS dominated mixed reef. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

BTW the Hammer that the Angel has brushed against a few times is in the middle of a hole he likes to swim in and out of. So its possible he has touched this coral several times a day. But if it was stinging him wouldnt he stop going near it?

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Typically the polyps on LPS corals don't have nematocysts, only the sweeper tentacles that normally are only extended at night. And yes, if it stung him once, he would stay clear.

I'm just throwing this at you to give your thread a bump and because my first couple dwarf angels started acting the same way before I lost them after being in my tank for several months. What I didn't know then is that angels have special dietary requirements. While they can thrive for a certain period without it, they need a small amount of marine sponge and seaweed for long-term survival. I've had no more problems since I found a marine angelfish blend that included those ingredients.

Hope this helps.

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thank you. I do feed nori on rocks about once to twice a week. He was eating this voraciously as of last week. I feed Formula 2 flakes, New Life Spectrum, Mysis, Rods, and Pygmey Angel Formula. Obviously not all at once, I try to mix things up each time I feed. I would think this varied diet would provide him with the necessary nutrients? I also soak food in selcon occassionaly. He doesnt appear skinny. He is nice a fat. I am hoping he comes around. But I am not sure what to do now that he is refusing to eat after having him for over a year. :(

8. Click Here!

9. MickyB

MickyB Astrea Snail

I know this might sound defeatist but to a certain extent fish can be like us, they can have ailments that you cant see, liver, heart and any number of internal problems, its nothing you have done wrong, just life.

Assuming nothing is bullying him i think the only thing to do is keep offering small amounts of food by his hideaway and hope he turns the corner and starts feeding again.

Good luck with this.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thank you. This is something I have thought could be whats happening here. Nothing is bullying him. He is the king of my Reef. But yet all he does is hide. Still doing it tonight and he has NO visual problems that I can see of. I think I am going to try to throw a clam on the half shell in there tonight to see if he picks at it.

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Maybe some Angelixir will cheer him up?

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I was calling BS until I googled that. Might give it a try. Hes gotta eat first.