Majano Removal

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Petrichor, Aug 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Petrichor

Petrichor Astrea Snail

I have a reef tank and am trying to get rid of a large majano. I have Aiptasia-X and turned off the pumps to use it, but the majano retreated into it's hole and closed up.

It's been about 20 minutes and the majano is barely opened. How long can I leave my pumps off before my corals start suffering? I have mostly softies, candycanes, a hammer, and a cocoworm. The softies have mostly retracted already.

The majano's oral disk is about the size of a quarter when fully opened, and right now it's maybe the size of a pencil eraser. Can I use the Aiptasia-X now or do I need to wait until it's open further?

Thanks for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

your corals can last a LOT LONGER than you'll need without the pumps running, sometimes I run my pumps at 1 hour on and 1 hour off. Just use the aiptasia x, superglue gel it shut, or cover it with an epoxy like aquameld, or use kalk paste. problem solved. or you can always use a torch;)

4. Petrichor

Petrichor Astrea Snail

That's good to know. The corals always look so sad and dead when the pumps are off I can't help but worry (mostly about the cocoworm). I'll give the majano a few more minutes then just paste the everloving crap out of it with Aiptasia-X.

Thanks for the quick response!

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Honestly, it sounds a little weird to me that all your corals react that much to pumps turning off for a bit, but it may be ok if they are never used to it. Are your pumps aimed so that your corals get alternating flow and are not always blasted on one side or another?

6. Petrichor

Petrichor Astrea Snail

They do get flow from several directions, but mostly one side. It's really only my xenia and kenya tree that have closed up. Typically the pumps are on all the time except for ten minute intervals every other day when I feed the fish and spot feed my LPS and cocoworm. The lights are also off, so they might just think it's night too. They just seemed to close up faster than normal.

My fish certainly like less current in the tank for some reason, though.

After about 10 minutes of hitting the majano is it ok to turn the pumps back on? I'm not sure I got a ton in the anemone, mostly just around it, but time will tell.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ohh, xenai and kenya trees, don't worry, they are HARD to kill for the most part, and yes, them shriveling up is pretty bog standard for them. Happens all the time. I doubt that will kill the majano, I'd pull the rock if you can torch it, put paste or superglue gel on it and call it a day.

8. Click Here!

9. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Whenever I see any Aiptasias or Majano's in my tanks, I inject Tropic Marin Elimi-Aiptas directly into the stalk as opposed to into the mouth. I find that the product has a better kill rate when injected into the stalk.

10. Petrichor

Petrichor Astrea Snail

I've never heard of that product before, but if I suddenly get an onslaught of pest anemones I'll look into it.

In other news, it's been about a day after I squirted the anemone it looks like there may be some part of the foot left. It's a fleshly lump all the way in the back (like, an inch and a half into the rock). Should I douse it in Aiptasia-X again just to be safe or should I wait for it to form a head?