magnificent foxface help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hooch, May 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hooch

hooch Astrea Snail

my magnificent foxface has something wrong with it's skin. i have done a fair amount of research and i believe it may be a fungal infection but i'm still not sure. the fish is about five and a half inches long, the spot on her side is about half the size of a dime, it looks as though the first layer of skin or slime coating is gone. in the center of the affected area it looks as though the skin is chaped, like lines up and down. in the research i did i could not find anything that resembled the same appearence as my fish. this is the second time this has happened though this time not as severe.
    water params as follows
    ammonia 0.0
    nitrite less than 0.2
    nitrate 0.0
    ph 8.3
    phosphate 0.0
    k/h in dkh 10.6
    calcium 370 ppm
    iodide less than .02 ppm m
    mag. 1150

i use r/o for water changes also. i'll try to get a pic of it soon.

2. Click Here!

3. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Not sure why you'd have any nitrite at all in your tank?
    Anyway, down to the subject...
    It honestly sounds like it has just scratched its side against something, however a picture is worth 1000 words. Try to get a picture up as soon as possible. In the meantime, try feeding it food soaked in garlic to boost it's immune system. Make sure that there is no ich present (a reason for why it would be scratching up against the rocks). And keep a close eye on it... if it gets worse, you may want to quarantine it so you can treat it with non-reef safe medications. Its not uncommon for fish to bang themselves up against rock, but if its the second time its happened in the past little while, i'd suspect an underlying cause.

4. hooch

hooch Astrea Snail

5. hooch

hooch Astrea Snail

a couple of things the fish are fed usually two to three times daily feedings usually consist of artemia, mysis, shrimp, formula 2, cyclopese, nori, red algea, and cheato and calurpa for my naso and foxface which i grow in my sump. at least one meal a day is soaked in vita-chem, usually brine or mysis for the fish. i have had ich before and i dont think this is it, all fish seem fine (no rubbing on rocks or sand, no flicking fins or tails) even the foxface is acting normal, it just has some kind of weird looking patch or skin on its side. also i noticed the wound about 12 to 18 hours after a 15% water change, not that it had anything to do with it. water was same temp, higher in salinity (was trying to raise my salinity a little) tank was 1.024 water was 1.026.

6. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Any new coral in that tank that may have stung it? (or pre-existing coral?)

7. hooch

hooch Astrea Snail

five species of euphillia, a rose bubble and a galexia, though this does not look to me like a sting unless it hugged up against one of them to sleep for the night...

8. Click Here!

9. hooch

hooch Astrea Snail

i think that a coral may have done it... anyone who has had a foxface can tell you they arent the smartest fish, it makes sense since it only happenes to it also

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Just my 2 cents, it looks a little on the skinny side. Any fat and happy fish will give many ailments a run for their money. Cool fish, fatten it up.;D

11. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I can not help with your problem but I wanted to say that is a awesome look fish. I have a one spot foxface but I have never seen one like yours. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

no help here either. but thats such a nice fish, i hope all turns out good with it. good luck