Magnesium over 1600?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by DevinH, Mar 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

My Red Sea test kit is showing Magnesium at over 1,600. If I did calculation correct its actually at 2,000!! I've tested it twice and got the same exact result, and looked online to be sure I was doing the test right and I am. The bottom of the plunger touches the 1ML mark, which accounts for the long tip. I am dosing with Peroxide at the moment could this affect the test? Always used Red Sea Coral pro salt, never had anything besides FOWLR in the tank since it first was started.

Here are my test results.

TEST ENDED: 12:30
    TEST DATE 3/3/2013
    ALK: 10.5
    CA: 450
    MAG: 2000
    AM: 0
    NITRA: 0
    NITRI: 0
    PH:8.0
    SAL: 1.025
    TEMP: 80

Current tank inhabitants: Snowflake eel

Recent changes: 2 new power heads and 2 new heaters

2. Click Here!

3. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

My Red Sea magnesium test kit consistently shows 300ppm more than Salifert. I mixed fresh batch of d-d h2ocean salt at 35ppt and Salifert showed ~1350 in line with advertised on salt box. Red Sea showed 1600+. I bet yours is in 1700 range.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

if your alk and ca are where they are, I highly doubt your mag is that high. 1700 like stated above, maybe but not 2000.

5. emoney

emoney Plankton

Id try another test kit. Be really tough to get mag that high

6. weems23

weems23 Astrea Snail

This has been happening in my tank, using a sea chem magnesium test and red sea calcium test. My magnesium ranges from 1500-1800 depending on how recent the last water change was. It never goes below ~1500 and my calcium also is always high, around 450-480. I use kent marine salt mix and run algae scrubber and refugium with no chemical filtration. My theory is that my RO filter is breaking down as the total dissolved solids are kinda high in its water, thus calcium and magnesium among other trace/essential elements are not being removed by the RO. I could test calcium and magnesium in the RO water, but I'm lazy and my corals seem to like the extra element input.

7. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I know that's not my problem as my spectrapure is putting out 0 TDS. Can our kits test freshwater?