Mag level high

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mikeb, Nov 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

I had a problem a while back with my calcium and alk. My calcium, even though I don't add any, was always reading real high and I couldn't keep my alk up. I was given the advice of checking my magnesium.
    So now I got the Salifert test kit and my mag level is at about 2500. Is this too high? And can a high level of mag have caused my problem? I thought I would be looking for a low level.
    Also, I don't add any supplements except for occasionally upping my alk.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

first of all how can your mag be 2500. doesn't the test kit only go to 1500. that should be the highest your mag goes. I use the salifert test kit too. I just got done raising my mag and now it's at 1500. That could be part of the problem if it were that high.

4. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

To find higher readings you have to fill the syringe twice then add your results.

5. hottielover14

r u sure thats correct u better test again. if so just don't add anything that would raise the mag. how did it get so high.

6. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

No idea. That's just the problem. I never add calcium either and that stays around 650. I did the tests many times over. Always did very well in chemistry in school and I'm sure I'm doing the tests correctly. So my question now is is a high mag level a problem? The reason I found this was because originally I had the problem with high calcium and low alk. I was told my magnesium level was probably low. Now what?

7. hottielover14

i'm not sure your the only person i've ever heard that had this problem. i've never seen mag and cal so high before. Anything about 500 for cal is too high. do ur pumps and filters still work good. because high cal can cause powerheads and filters to fail. Does anybody else have any comments.

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

11. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

I've always used Coralife

12. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

Another thing I've noticed. At the beginning of the Salifert instruction page for magnesium it reads:

"Calcium and strontium will not interfere when their total concentration is between 300 and 500 ppm. This is mostly the case"

I'm wondering now if my high level of calcium is giving me wrong readings for my Mag. I'm still waiting for my strontium test kit to come in so I can measure that too.
    BTW, thanks for the links. [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]