Mad Algae Problems

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mallasee, Mar 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

Hello Everyone,
    I have a 75 gal tank with a 40 gal sump and a Turboflotor 1000 skimmer. My tank has developed a massive algae problem. I have been fighting red slime for a few months now. The red slime has come and gone but never really goes away. I have used phosphate removers, Kent Marine Poly Ox and I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks. Now I have a green hair and a bubble algae problem. The way my tank is setup is I have 90 lbs of live rock that go right down the center of my tank. I have a mag 7 pumping water in on one end and the overflow and a rio 600 power head at the other end. I am thinking that DOC and detritus are getting trapped in the rock work feeding the algae. Is this the cause of my algae problems? I am wondering what opinions people have on this. I don't want to have to rearrange my rock work if I don't have too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

how old is your tank? and what kind of water are you using tap water or ro/di?

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would tend to agree with you. How about adding a powerhead at the back of the tank pointing at the rock work. This would force the nutrients out of the rock?
    I would also check your supply water for Nitrates and phosphates

J

5. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

I am using RO water from a Kent Marine Hi-s unit. I dont have a TDS meter yet but the unit is only 2 months old. Also my tank is 9 months old.

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Is that just a RO no DI?
    If so that is totally causing problems if your city water uses chlorimine. That about bured my reef without a DI the RO passes ammonia straight into your make up water.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Listen to JM. Increase the flow around the tank to help stir the detritus. If you are able to reach it, take a toothbrush and rub the hair off the rock, it will come right off and if possible, siphon it because it will come off in chunks.

Good luck!
    -Rick

8. Click Here!

9. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I'm having a similar problem with red slime algae. I manually remove it with a turkey baster. Then, suck or scoop out the bigger chunks, and change the filter media in the power filter to get rid of the little stuff. It seems to be working -- I"ve been going at it agressively for 3 weeks and there is much less algae.
    For the longer term:
    -- cut down the lighting
    -- reduce feedings

10. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

i have hair algae problems too since my tank has been 6 month old and now its almost a year old and i stil have it but i discovered that my phosphate was too high maybe if you test your phosphate that could be the problem?

1 person likes this.
  11. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Acenia,
    That's a good thought. You may be right. I'll pick up a test kit and phosphate remover today at the LFS.