MacroAlgae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by VT rules, May 23, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

So I've got some kind of macro algae growing on one of my rocks. It was kind of cool looking for awhlle however it seems to be growing quite fast lately and I'm beginning to worry about it getting out of control. What do I need to put in my tank (it's 55 gallon) that will eat this stuff?

2. Click Here!

3. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Is it possible to post a pic or two, this would make it easier to identify.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The question should be "what should I be taking out of my water that is making this stuff grow". The answer is nitrates and phosphates, usually. Also, keeping your calcium/magnesium/alkalinity levels high and steady will help choke it out. I'm assuming that your tank is not receiving any direct sunlight but if it is, you'll need to block the tank from the sun.

5. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

No sunlight at all, my nitrates are always very low and I just tested my phosphates.....no problems there. I haven't checked my calcium though, maybe I should check that out.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Check your alk and mag too if you have the tests? If you don't, maybe you can have your lfs test it for you. Knowing what your calcium level is won't help much if you don't know what the other readings are.

7. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

Don't have a mag test but the others are:
    Calcium = 400
    DKH = 9.6

These seem good so I'm not sure what to do other than to get the other test kit and check the mag.

8. Click Here!

9. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

Will anything eat this stuff? Perhaps a tang? Any suggestions?

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Have you tested the output from your r.o. unit for phosphates and nitrates?

11. VT rules

VT rules Bristle Worm

amcarrig: thanks, check out a few posts up.

I've tried to rip some of it of the one rock that is infested by hand. It worked okay but it's growing back and trying to spread. I really think I need something that will eat it to get be done with it. What should I get?

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I saw you post your tank water test results but I'm wondering what the water you use for top off/water change tests at? I assume you're using an r.o. unit?