Macro safe hermits? crabs?

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by reefmonkey, Mar 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I'm within a couple weeks of ordering my crew for my 90. Can't imagine a tank without hermits and some small crabs but don't want them eating on the macros that will be in there. What would you suggest?

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

you can get macros that crabs wouldnt eat, you can keep a tank clean without crabs. Try to find a balance between the two. What macros are you thinking of keeping?

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Red bubble, dragons tongue, prolifera, red titan, neomeris, mermaids fans, halmedia, ocho, maybe some type grass, sargassum, and something I have but have no idea what it is lol. A friend gave me a couple cuttings of this red fern looking stuff but my blue legs in the fuge found that to be delicious and it's gone now.

5. johnmaloney

they would the halymenia and the bubbles off the botryocladia. probably the blades on your caulerpa too

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Well that's kind of what I figured. Was hoping you would give some hope. lol.

7. johnmaloney

you can get tiny hermits that may behave in the short term, or large mean hermits that only want protein based diets but other than that..

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Meh..I probably just skip the crabs. Just can't imagine a tank without them, especially the hermits and their antics but I'll get over it lol.

In less than a month I'll be ordering snails but no quick crew. I love the nerites but hate the egg sacs all over everything.

10. johnmaloney

surely there will be another tank around your house still to enjoy them in :)

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

True :)
    Hopefully your not to picked over (for my sake) when I go to order. I'm getting a good diatom bloom now. Yesterday it was just a spot here and there on the rock, today pretty much the left 1/4 of the tank. I really hope you still have some dwarf plaxenis.

12. johnmaloney

they are cool snails, (I do think I have them), but they wont clean as much as you think..more of a novelty but I guess that works for you. :)