Macro Confusion

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trying it again, Feb 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

I,m very confused, While reading a post from Wendy about plants in the main tank Diver 1298 wrote.....(Wendy, I think the general consensus is... There is nothing wrong with Macro Algae in the main display tank. It really depends on what you perceive as nice looking to your eyes. ( beauty in the eye of the beholder thing ) Some possible drawbacks to keeping it in the main tank
    1.) It might take hold and over run it. Small possibility??
    2.) Some types release spores and cloud up the water ( grape caleurpa I think)
    3.) It is toxic to most fish (Caleurpa) although I think they know this and don't try to eat it.) In a post by me about losing a sally lightfoot two days after introducing algea Bruce wrote.....(hmm well i had some marco calerpa in my 12...and needless to say it killed everything in my tank 1 month in....when the plants reproduce they cause super high ammonia levels.)

Am I going to poison the tank? or is it O.K. ? Keep it or flush it may make a good poll..lol Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would never put macro algae in my main tank. Been there, done that, it ain't pretty. I was ripping it out by the bucketful on a weekly basis.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I agree about caulerpa as I had the same experience as amcarrig.

However, there are some out there that are kinda nice in my opinion like halymenia.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Halymenia is good I believe for Tangs especially. They eat that macro.

6. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

plague, all of it

7. gawlowski

gawlowski Astrea Snail

Try chaetomorpha. My preference is to put it in the refugium.