Macro Club?

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Jul 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

I have been toying with this idea for awhile..we have quite a few customers who want to keep macro tanks, and since algae is seasonal, and can sometimes be more difficult than coral to keep, (depending on the species), we want to develop a program that will keep us in business but provide you with a better service and a tank filled with macro.

some ideas we have thought of:

- special buyers club, like Costco or Sams has... (Are those stores nationwide? - well if you are unfamiliar you pay them $50 to have access to discounts on purchases in the store, but things are bulk packed. )

- variety packs - get 6 for the price of four in variety type thing - i just have inventory issues there unless it isn't random macros...

that about it, not very creative it seems. got any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. FuzzBall03

FuzzBall03 Flamingo Tongue

I say discount club... though discount shouldn't only be given in bulk.
    For example, say I get .02$ or something off a every dwarf cerith I buy. Or some percentage on specific items?

I just don't ever see myself buying in bulk for macro or cucs...
    perhaps once(to stock a tank), but not constantly.

Ohhh, or maybe some-type of a shipping deal? That can always be a big deciding factor in my purchases.

Hope you found that somewhat helpful John.

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd say a buyback or trade in program for certain items, since alot of macros where may be hard to keep but need regular trimmings to keep from taking over much like corals. Dunno about other locations but my LFS here won't touch macros for trades and I hate throwing stuff away.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I like the variety pack idea. I see a problem with the "discount club" thing only because macros and cleaners are not something you regularly buy. Kind of a once per system deal. And trade in or buy back, that would really only work for the locals to reefcleaners. I for one wouldnt see spending $30 in shipping for $6 store credit ;)

6. johnmaloney

yeah that was some of the problems I ran into. Wouldn't be for the cleaners, just the macros. we do the best of season sampler when it we get the fist crop of each season, I was thinking of making that a quarterly thing or something... we also come across some rare specimens like Halymenia elongata for example that are really nice but we see them only 2 or 3 times a year, wanted to work those things in there. The problem with buyback is the shipping to us becomes prohibitive, unless you had a commercial quantity to send back, the value of the trade in would be largely consumed by shipping. Shipping is always a pain, much easier to create programs and deals without shipping. I originally wanted a macro of the month club, send out what is nicest for a particular month with a feature "spotlight on halymenia" type article to go with it, but the shipping...

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

yeah i hate shipping it's a freakin monopoly

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

i got to get one of those PACS up there in washington pushing for cheap shipping rates. The "Concerned Citizens for the Free and Fair Transportation of Aquatic Resources" -:)

10. johnmaloney

ahh! Blade finally showed up in that twilight movie. :) Love that avatar Pack, though at first it was just the twilight kids... :)

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Haha, nice! It is the Twilight kids... Just that at least one of them is about to get a head lopped off! ;)

12. johnmaloney

Dont take chances get em both!