Macro algae suggestions

Discussion in 'Algae' started by NittyGritty, Oct 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Hej all,

I am wanting to bring in some macro algae to my display tank to help with nitrates. I want something more visually appealing than chaeto.

Suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Red Mangroves?

4. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I'll look into them

5. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

need something within the tank....

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

caluerpa is the common choice. disregard all that "Sexing" bs, you need to really nuke it before you trigger this mechanism.

be sure to regularly export it (trim it)

7. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

I had caluerpa in my dt for a while...not by choice. It grows really fast and can get out of control but easy to eradicate if u have space for a tang! Its visually appealing in a softie tank IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf Astrea Snail

caluerpa is ugly.

Codium, Flame Algae, Fire Fern, Cheato (you can hide this in a corner with good flow and a bit of light - everyone likes to keep it lit all night mine is doing fine with the tank light schedule), Mangroves (but this requires a big of head room unless you drop em in the sump).

Go over to the Lions Den, the folks with predator tanks tend to use different Macros to manage their water quality..

Edit: http://www.reefcleaners.org/ they have a macro and plants section look at their options, contact John also he probably has some other goodies he hasn't listed on site.

10. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Well I do have space and am planning on a couple tangs, and I have a mix reef with plenty of shrooms and softies! I'll check it out :)

11. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Thanks for the list, I will check them out as well. Flame Algae sounds right up my ally :)

12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

if you plan to keep tangs and caluerpa in your dt its not gonna work out, i tried! got a puffy bush of caluerpa to add to my DT thinking it would survive the nips....it was gone within 24h.....

with this being said, if i had a sump full of fluffy caluerpa instead of trimming it and flushing it out i would feed it to my DT. this way not only am i supplementing my fishes diet im also making sure all the little critters that find refuge in the caluerpa go un-wasted.

personally i dont think its ugly and its a tank of an algae, can thrive with low light.