Macro Algae for display tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Kevin_E, Mar 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Shaving brush is the same as halimeda, it uptakes calcium to grow.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

You're really limiting my options lol. The Dragons Breath macro seems to be my only option fromt he ones listed in this thread.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

How is maiden's hair as a nitrate remover?

5. rsjakp

rsjakp Bristle Worm

I have red grape algae, and it gorws well and takes up nutrients well. Plus I like the way it looks. I have already had to cut it in half and sold it back to LFS. It just attaches to a rock and grows from there. It is on the right.[​IMG]

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I had maiden's hair in my last tank & it died from high nitrates. It seems to be one of the ones that doesn't like high nitrates. Sorry to add to your limit!

Red grape algae is caulerpa.

7. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I am think about adding some shaving brush in my tank, looks nice and I think I heard this won't over run your tank and is effective for removing phosphates and nitrates.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

l came up with a free alternative solution. I built fuge-like system that will sit within the display tank. I think I am going to drill more holes to increase the flow. I'm going to check my nitrates in a week (do you think that's enough time to notice a difference?) and see if they have reduced (from 35 ppms) first. If they have, then the current model is sufficient.

Here:

Attached Files:

11. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

Resurrecting an old thread here.... Fsukum, did you add that fuge to your tank? Is there a thread for that? Or did you end up putting any macros in your DT? I've been thinking about putting macros in my display and turned up this thread and now I'm curious as to what happened!! lol 8)

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I did for a bit. I used grape caulerpa and it grew. I tried a mermaid fan in the tank, but it died. The box fell apart after a bit as I didn't let the caulking cure long enough. It's 4 pieces of acrylic that I cut, silicone together and drilled holes in.

I now have a sump under a stand I built.