Macro Algae for display tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Kevin_E, Mar 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Do any of you have any suggestions on an aesthetically pleasing macro algae to place in a display tank that is relatively easy to care for and grows at a moderate/quick rate?

I'm interested in fern caulerpa. I would prefer a branching species.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I would stay away from calpura. The reasoning behind that is one day a bit started to grow in my tank, i though "wow thats pretty ill let it grow" then a month later my sandbed was a net of the stuff. Pulling it up released nutrient under the bed and I started to lose coral. As those nutrients killed my acro colonies the calurpa went sexual and its everywhere. Im still battling in in a new tank from the rock I brought over.

I do like halimdia and have some in my DT, as does shin I gave him some. It is far more controllable, and grow more slowly being that it is a calciferous plant. HOLY CRAP I SPELLED IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So you would suggest staying away from species that send off runners? How good of a nitrate/phosphate consumer is it relative to caulerpa?

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Its not I dont think. but I have a basketball sized Cheato ball in my fuge.

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Try something like Halymenia. You really don't want caulerpa in your display...unless that's all you want in your display.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Dragons breath is pretty, halymenia, and Halimeda are all good in a display. I also have seen some nice seagrasses

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Dragons breath and halymenia look nice. What about gracilaria? How are each of these as a nitrate/phosphate remover?

I think I would like the look of seagrass, but would they take over similar to caulerpa?

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Dragon's breath is a type of Halymenia. I would say it does a pretty good job of nutrient uptake, since it's going wild in our fuge. Biggest issue with it in the display is you'll have to put it in a lower flow area, as it doesn't attach very strongly so it will blow all over the display. Plus things will eat it.

I've never gotten gracilaria to grow, and I've read of lots of other folks having trouble too, but each tank is different. Tangs love gracilaria.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Does Dragon Breath grow well? I'm looking for something that will help maintain lower nitrate/phosphate levels as well; I should have specified that initially.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Do you have a sump/fuge?

I started with no sump. When I was just getting started, one of the LFS was selling clupera.
    Then I started my DIY sump, and researched a macro to go in a basket in it.
    Listen to the previous posts, that's why I have Chaeto in now 2 baskets in my sump and it works well.

You obviously want something for your display however, and I've seen some pretty cool looking reddish stuff- sorry, don't know the name.