MACNA2011 Last Day and the Spoils

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by reefmonkey, Sep 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

that's what I figured...or at least hoped:)

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah I asked and they said all they use is LED.
    In my moonlights it's uber red. The crappy T5HO mod with the Odyssea 10k's are washing out the blue even the Phoenix 14K's are putting out.

Mine looks similar to this with the purple flesh and red polyps but the polyps on mine are much more densely packed.
    Superman Digitata (Montipora Digitata) :: Other SPS :: Soutas Saltwater

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Thank you for sharing all the pictures with us, Mike. Looks like you nabbed some good stuff there.

$85 for the weekend? That's a great deal, if you know your schedule that far ahead! :p

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Don't know how I missed this earlier. I think you used your Mod-Wand and snuck it in on me Curt. :p
    Oh I'm not disappointed in the least. I just don't feel like posting good pics of it until it does adjust. LOL
    A picture is worth 1000 words but on the boards they can get ugly. LOL
    Under the LED moonlights it pops uber red so once I get the cree's in it will fluoresce again.

I learned more about lighting during this show than I have in the years in this hobby.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Just so you know, Marc's talk vindicated me in sooooo many ways. When I told Schackmel that on her 135, she should have the actinics T5's power on, then each of the 4 MH's should pop on and off in a staggered, yet overlapping, fashion, she not only thought I was a lunatic, she thought all of the corals would die. They didn't, they thrived and her electric bill went down by a LOT!! When we heard that's how he did his tank, I just looked at her and smiled. He also showed his PAR numbers by doing the MH's the RIGHT WAY!!! which I've been telling everyone for years. She didn't quite believe me on this either. She also got into this hobby when everyone kept real blue tanks and I had her change her lights to lower K bulbs. She didn't trust me on that either, but Marc's talk showed her that numbers don't lie. (I'm not as stupid as I look...LOL).

EDIT: Just so you know, Marc and I have never discussed any of the above even though we've known each other for a long time. Two independent people just happened to do the same thing.

EDIT #2: I knew I drew this out for someone a while back. I don't know when. This is proof that accountants should not try and use their artistic side (because we don't have one). :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I don't want a real blue tank. I'm only adding 10 RB and they will have 4 cool white in the mix. It's the 10K bulbs washing out the little blue I do want.
    The T5's need to be replaced so I just went ahead and ordered the LED so I don't have to worry about that for a long time.
    The spiders over the 90 will be turned but over the 75 I have no choice but to run them the way they are since it's a fixture. I am cutting out about 6' of the cords though.

I'm not very happy with Melev atm. I've been swapping email with Melissa from Apogee all day and all I have to say is I hope he enjoyed his group buy.

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Nice pics! The number is nothin',I took 8000 pics over the summer!:) no joke either!

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i am glad you got pictures. We took 2 cameras and I think we got like 10 pictures. I was like a little kid in a candy shop. I tried to go and talk with all the vendors and look at everything but I kept getting "pulled away" by all the cool corals! We bought probably 30 different frags. Sad thing is I cant remember the names of evertything we bought.I know we got chili pepper montis, war coral, couple different colors of favias, this really awesome colored flower pot.....it is a yellow with a red tipped polyp, various acans, a pink acro that came with an acro crab (i hope I didnt kill him I was dipping him and didnt see him until a couple minutes into the dip) We also got 3 pieces of Jason Fox corals including a red with yellow tip goni, sunset monti and psammocoras, couple different variaties of caphastrea. Plus we are starting a zoa/mushroom tank in the mantis tank. There was at least 10 varieties of zoas including PPE, king midas, armour of god, bam bams sunny d. I wish I could remember all of them.

I will get pics once they settle in from the dip.

The most informative talk I attended IMO was the PAR talk. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Holy crap I didn't realize you all picked up so many frags! That's cool!
    I'm glad I got to meet Jason Fox in person. My intentions were just one really awe inspiring zoa/paly frag and I found it at his booth. Problem was it was $50 and I only had $80 left. I thought about it long and hard, walked just to the end of the row and went back for it. In those few minutes it was long gone. Jason told me to email him and he'll send me one for the same price. How cool is that? Good guy.

I really liked Marc's seminar too but I think I took/learned more from Calfo's.

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

unfortnately we did not get to make it Friday and there were a bunch of talks I really wanted to see :(

We are in the planning stage of re-setting up our big tank, so trying to get a bunch of different corals and grow them out before moving them. Jason had a lot of his corals discounted Sunday afternoon so I was able to pick up a couple pieces I wanted without the cost

It was very interesting to learn about the 20k ushio bulbs. I knew about the faster growth under the 10k bulbs, but we were thinking about switching over to the 20k to color up everything. So we talked to the USHIO rep and found out the par difference was not as much as I thought between the 10k and the 14k (it only dropped by 30 or something like that). When you go to the 20k the par drops dramatically (which i knew) however the 20k needs to be replaced more frequently due to the make up of that particular bulb. By 6 months the spectrum has dropped quite a bit and you loose a lot of the light effect

Before I learned about the 20k bulb more I entered a raffle for the 20k bulb from ushio and won a pair of them. Figure now we can go ahead and place them on the tank to color things up and then put the 10k back on. Easier to do that when it is free vs $100

The marineland stip light that we got at the banquet is really nice. IT IS NOT HOWEVER A MOON LIGHT. It is too bright to leave. It fits perfectly in the lid of the nano 29g tank lid and gave me the blue shimmer I was wanting while keeping the faster growth!