Mac II, the bimac

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, Sep 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

no, no problem! Actually a blue spot octopus has blue spots all over! AND ARE VERY, VERY Lethal! I would never, ever own one (and as some know I enjoy more dangerous creatures!)

Here is what I think it is...a blue spot bimac octopus from California! (Actually that is what the LFS told me)

California Two-Spot Octopus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here is some info on hummelinki. They have purplish suction cups instead of peach and their eye spot is a little different colored

Octane - O. Hummelincki (filosus) - TONMO.com Forums

Only main difference is that bimac like colder water (aournd 72) and linki like warmer water (around 78)

Here is a pic of a blue spotted octo
    http://www.seaphotos.com/cgi-bin/sh...andy coral rubble. (Lembeh Strait, Indonesia)

beautiful fish but no known cure!

So I am just waiting to let it settle down and see if I can tell which one it is. She/he is in the rock and looks like a rock still so tomorrow I will try. I think it is a bimac though because if you look its suction cups are peach

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I snapped a pic of him eating!

There is no problem with this one...in 3 1/2 days he has ate 7 emeralds This thing is going to bankrupt me very quickly! I will slow down his feedings but I wanted to make sure he is settled in and had all he needed. I am thinking 2 a day is going to be enough and when I get my fiddlers back those are bigger just 1! Today he ate 2, yesterday 3 and day before 2.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this one he grabbed a hold of a snake zoa frag that I had in the tank! But you can see the first emerald crab in his tentacles and the second one getting ready to be got

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ok just wondering. love these guys!! there so cool. nice pics and description!!

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

he is doing really well. I had to buy some baby toys for him...he is bored already and trying to get out!

I bought some baby keys, some baby rings, and I had a baby ball that has openings with little balls in there. I am going to try to put a emerald crab inside a bottle so he will try to get the crab out to eat it.

I have some pics I snapped today and will post tonight from home

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

One thing the Tennessee Aquarium did when I worked there with their pacific octopi is put raw clam meat in a plastic easter egg, and then put that inside the "butt hatch" of a Mr. Potato head toy. So the ceph has to open the Potato head and then open the easter egg for the food.

If you want help thinking up puzzles for Mac, feel free to shoot me a PM or somthing :D I love being creative when it's not class related :p

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

So you don't go bankrupt feeding him emerald crabs... Mixed crabs (octopus food)

Haven't ordered from there yet, but i am going to order some as mantis food.

1 person likes this.
  10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Good link stepho. Mel's stuff makes me want to get a 29 biocube...she's kept too much cool stuff in that thing. Bob the mantis, potential cuttlefish, and now an awesome octopus? geeeez I want one :D

11. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Awesome thread, Mel. The most amazing thing is that you haven't been flamed even once, on either bimac thread, LOL! You must be doing something right...but it was probably your detailed plans and descriptions of them. I kept a few octopuses, they are extremely interesting animals. And they are always capable of doing the unexpected, and even things that you couldn't/didn't imagine. Good luck, and keep the pics coming.

Cheers,

Don

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

awesome link! Thank you very much!