Mac II, the bimac

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, Sep 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Well, I decided to go ahead and get the bimac octopus that came in. He was eating good already. He had 1 emerald crab yesterday and 2 today. He was flashing and was active when I saw him.

The store had him in a hamster ball and he was rolling around in that.

SOOOO........
    I took him home today ;D hamster ball and all!

I thought I would post some of the mods I did to the tank. I bought gutter guard and zipties from Lowes. I have covered any and all openings with the gutter guard and then placed another one over that so that it would zig zag a little. Octopus do not like the feel of the plastic of it so I placed it over the top of the tank where the water enters in and extended it over the water line (so he would not get any ideas)

I am going to leave him in the haster ball for a couple days so he can get used to the new tank (acclimating is the hardest and most stressful time for an octopus) I will then let him out to be free!

I tested my water first and everything is at ZERO!. They CAN NOT tolerate ammonia or nitrites at all. They can handle a small amount of nitrates though it is best to have that at zero also. Plus copper at even the smallest level is a death sentence for them and even undetectable levels will kill one in 72-96 hours

I have not placed the lid on there yet as he is in the ball and also I want to evaluate my moding for a bit (make sure there is no openings etc)
    When I place the lid back on, I will use duct tape to put the lid in place (A bimac can actually lift 40 lb lid off the tank) I was talking with someone else on TOMNO (octopus forum) that said the rigged a lock and latches on his lid so I will be researching that.

I placed the gutter guard over the return jet (that is how it escaped last time). I have disconnected the heater in the tank and the tank runs cool (lower 70'S) which is where they like it.

I have some pictures of him, but the computer I am at right now USB port is broke so I will grab my laptop when I can and download them for you!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

here you go! Will try to get better shots soon (still have to get the good camera back from my mother :angry:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is him/her when I first walked in...it flashed his colors went from white, to black to brown reddish color!
    [​IMG]

here are some of the mods (again I did not put the lid on yet)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

o man thats awsomeeee if i cant get the Odontodactylus japonicus mantis i want ill be looking into getting a ceph :)

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Awesome keep the pics coming!

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

well he/she is still in her tank! LOL. I worried all night long that something would happen...die from acclimating, figure out how to open hamster ball, big octopus monster swoop down and kill it! I kept wanting to go in there and check on it but figured it would stress him out more

I might have to change its name though....many of the mods from TONMO states that it is not a bimac but instead a hummelincki! So his name may change to lincki! Very similar just from different waters...bimac likes it around 72 and lincki like it at 78! I will be scouring the sights to find out

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

thats really cool schack. i look forward to your updates , progress and observations with linki. best of luck .

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

what incredible animals , fantastic - hope it all goes well

great photos, Schackmel

Steve

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

here is day 3! I let him out of the ball and allowing him to settle into his new home. All mods are completed and holding, and lid was placed. I am duct taping lid down and he is putting on quite a color morph show right now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Octopi are amazing. I hope all goes well.

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ok i dont know much about them but that octo has a blue spot on it. I just know there are a few different types of blue ring octos. just wondering not trying to act like i know more because i deffinantly dont. anyways nice tank and hope all goes well.