m tank from northcoastmarines.com

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by mflee9, Oct 24, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mflee9

mflee9 Plankton

I'm thinking about getting the new m tank from north coast marines. It is an 18 gallon overflow with a venturi protein skimmer. It comes with 72watt powercompact lights. Has anybody heard anything about it? What do you think of the protein skimmer?
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

hey welcome aboard mflee!   :thumbsup1:

i checked out that tank i think. the one i found was a 12g.  ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/quarantn.htm

i love those freakin' tanks! i was just talking about a tank like that in the nippon thread. the fish store i worked at had one of those on the counter. it amazed me because it always looked great without much hassle. we just did a 5-10% water change every week and cleaned the glass and skimmer. we also always used ro water. it ruled.  oh_yeah

we had a bunch of indo rock in it with a couple inches of sand on the bottom. some kind of clam, some feather dusters, a brain coral i think and a blue damsel.

that is the same exact tank. tool cool. i have wanted one ever since and don't know why i never got one when i could. the wet/dry is the perfect size for it, the pump is quite with nice flow and the skimmer works well enough.

heh. anyway, if you get this hobby in your blood, you will always find a use for a tank like that, quarantine or otherwise.

if this is not a quarantine tank that you are heavily medicating, putting some live rock in it would help offset those severe 'nano style' swings where things go south fast.  :)

4. mflee9

mflee9 Plankton

Thanks for looking, but the tank I was looking at is the 18 gallon m tank. You gotta click on the "View the New M Tank" icon at the beginning, after clicking on the quarantine tank icon.
    All I hear about is the CPR back pack skimmer for reef tanks. I am tentative about the venturi skimmer that is included in the m tank. Do you think that's all I need for this tank, or do I need the CPR back pack? What do you think about it? It is not the air powered skimmer that is in the 12 gallon tank that you saw.
    Thanks for the first reply!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

:D No way!

Ok. I am on the same page now. ;)

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/MTANK.htm

That tank is bad ass!! Oh my god, how cool. Every component looks great, even the skimmer.

I saw the CPR backback in action when I was in Chicago recently and I was not impressed. Maybe it was setup wrong but I could have put out more bubbles with a straw.

This skimmer looks great for that tank. Keep in mind that these tanks are tiny and you don't need an 8 foot Euro-Reef on them to enjoy them. Even that cc skimmer on the 12 gallon would do the job. Don't sweat it, this thing looks great. Seriously. oh_yeah

6. mflee9

mflee9 Plankton

Thanks.
    I am probably going to get it.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Very cool.

Thanks a lot by the way, now I want one of those too. :razz:

8. Click Here!

9. mflee9

mflee9 Plankton

I ended up cancelling the order. The guy told me it would take a couple of days to ship. I waited more than 2 weeks with no shipment so I cancelled. I got tired of the excuses.
    I ended up with a 29 gallon all-glass with stand, canopy, CPR back pack2R, and customsealife retro kit (2x65 watt).
    I ended up spending a lot more money, but I think I will be happier in the end.
    Let me know if you know of anybody who gets the m tank.
    Thanks.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh man that sucks. I am sorry to hear that.
    What were their excuses after two weeks?

What a shame, that looks like a good nano setup.

Anyway, sounds like you got a nice nano setup going ... let me know how that CPR works for you.

And post some pics! ;D

11. mflee9

mflee9 Plankton

The guy told me the delay was because of the boat strike off the docks in California. He should have told me this before I ordered the tank. Anyway, I am getting my live sand and live rock today. I will send you a pic when it is up and running.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah he should have mentioned that. I work right up the street from the Oakland docks, maybe I could have picked it up. ;D