M.e.n!!! Victory is mine!??

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefmonkey, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

And eating my Atlanta Aquariums Strawberry-patch too! I'm so angry atm...at myself for not QTing new arrivals. I was done buying coral and thought I had squeaked by with no issues. SO LET THIS BE A WARNING TO THE NEW GUYS!

QUARANTINE!

I can't even treat the infected coral because it was glued to a boulder which is actually a piece of base rock that is part of the foundation for my rock work. So instead I fragged all of the growth, inspected the frags with a magnifying glass and pitched any with eggs. Then I entombed the rest of the coral with epoxy. It was all I could think of to do. Tomorrow when I have time I will frag every Monti I have in my system and drive them 199 miles to my friends place and he'll grow them out in his qt until I'm sure there are no more MEN in my tank.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

4. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

M.E.N? monti eating nudies?

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

sorry to hear that reef. not to make light of it , but hopefully your lose is other peoples gain and learn from your misfortune. best of luck with it all.

1 person likes this.
  6. swimswithsheep

swimswithsheep Flamingo Tongue

I'm sorry to hear about your nudi problems. :-/

Always quarantine, good advice.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Sorry to here that. That really sucks. I here that you say to QT, but did you by any chance, dip the corals before adding them to your system?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Dips don't kill eggs so even if he had, the risk of getting these hitchhikers is still high.

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

That's true. I was just thinking about the adults mainly, but I guess that doesn't matter, sense there are eggs on them too.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yes I did dip them fully knowing that without quarantine it was a waste of time if there were any eggs. So far the strawberry patch is the only monti effected. I'm just waiting for my huge green cap to start going bald along with my digi's.
    I was able to get three 1/2" frags of the strawberry patch. But I still imagine after all is said and done I will end up losing most if not all the monti's in my tank. Do these thing eat confusa's too? And if so does anyone know how to frag them?

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

ahh this is terrible, i feel your pain! looks like we both just learned our lessons recently lol

Heres some pointers: toothpicks work well for getting the eggs and the nudis themselves. Wrasses are a great addition... genus haliochoeris is great. And the nudis are very selective upon which monits they eat. My dad has plenty of digitatas but they only wanted to eat my dads purple rimmed green cap :/

I remember you messaged me about the chaeto and once again, the chaeto was from a completely different system than my infection... in fact, with a few clean and thriving montipora species so please dont think it was from me!