Lux to par conversion?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Shackman23, Aug 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Does anyone have a trick or a formula to calculate lux over to par, im looking to get some readings from my kessil LED pendants thanks in advance!!

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

You can't convert lux to par. Lux is weighted to the sensitivity of the human eye, using the photopic luminosity function. Once this is done, it can't be undone. Lux is a completely meaningless number as far as photosynthesis is comcerned. It tells you nothing as the curve is a bell curve centered around yellow-green. Our lights tend to be more blue, which is given no weight. So, you can have a tremendous amount of blue light and virtually no Lux. Or you can have a little yellow-green light and have a ton of lux, but absolutely no usable light.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hm so exactly how do i tell how much light im actually getting from these fixtures im pretty novice to the lighting aspects..

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

The conversion factors assume that the bulb produces the same spectrum that it did when they tested it. The problem is, that can be very sensitive to even slight differences in spectral output. This could be due to manufacturing, ballast, reflector etc... Also, probably most important age. Some bulbs will shift to yellow when older and get dimmer. Getting dimmer will cause both par and lux to decrease, however, shifting to yellow will not effect par, but will cause lux to increase! So, if your measuring a bulb with a lux meter, to see if it is still good, the shift to yellow will offset the decrease in output, with regards to the reading. So, it may look like the bulb is still good, but really it isn't even close.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Agreed 100% which is why I ranked the method as merely better than nothing. :)

10. aquamn1999

aquamn1999 Astrea Snail

i agree you can't convert Lux to par. It's two different things.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011