Lungz 7gal planted

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Lungz, Jun 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

I recently(yesterday) bought a lfs display planted tank for a wicked price. Ive been wanting to try my hand at planted tanks and this was too tempting. I bought the Fluval Flora 8gal with three shrimp ornaments and three armano shrimp as well as a bunch of plants for 50$. I have a few questions though. I have a fertilizer substrate. Will i need co2 at some point? What kind of small fish loveeee plants? And are snails gunna kill the plants as there were a ton in the tank. I will add questions as they come to me

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

CO2 need depends on the intensity of your lighting. So we will need to know that. The snails should not be a problem as the eat only decaying matter usually. All small fish love plants. Celestial Rasboras, Neon Tetras and other very small Tetra, Rasboras and Danios are good for your tank.

4. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

There she be. i run the light about 8 hrs a day. Also, is carbon a goodthing or not?

Attached Files:

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

No carbon needed, try Flourish Ferts. Try adding some driftwood for hiding spots, etc. For fish I like sparkling gouramis.

1 person likes this.
  6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Seachem Excel will very good. It is a carbon supplement. You can do water changes with treated tap water. You will most likely want to add iron and potassium for optimum plant health.

7. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

Sounds good. As far as sustrate goes, can i do a layer of play sand above the fertilizer to kinda keep plants in place?

8. Click Here!

9. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

Also, can anyone id the plants i have?

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes you can, but not too deep, maybe 1/2"

11. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

Good enough. Wat plants do I have? 2in10, you are all over the place im looking at a dif planted forum and i see you on it to lol.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The one on the left looks like Telanthera reineckii, the one in front by the log might be Hornwort. I would need to see closer pics off the rest to have a chance. They all look very healthy though.