Lunar Wrasse a killer? HELP

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by chelltom, Nov 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

:eek: So I have had a mandarin for about 2 years fat and healthy got a nice sump / Fuge that keeps him fat with pods. Got plenty of live rock in the tank and a few corals. 1 blue damsel , 1 tomato clown had a six line that went carpet surfing a few weeks ago and bit the dust so this weekend I decided to add a lunar wrasse on sale at petco for 11 bucks so it was hard to pass up. I added him at night after lights were out as not to stress him or other tank mates. sunday when lights came on everything looked fine he was happy . Only thing is my Mandy has vanished, could be hinding I guess because I have plent of live rock, Could it be possible lunar Wrasse killed him in the night? Are they that aggresive? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Ryan_310

Ryan_310 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

From what I know Lunar Wrasse are extremely aggresive but your fish that were established should not have been bullied in just one night because they already had their homes. He may be hiding.

4. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

I hope so there is a large Conch shell in the tank, he may be in there but I was thinking what if the wrasse went to hide there on the first night and they ran into each other and poor mandy became dinner

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Thalassoma lunare are rather aggressive, and are not well suited for a reef tank. They will readily consume inverts (snails, crabs, etc) and may flip over any small, loose items/frags/rocks/etc looking for food.

Thalassoma are best left for swim/FO tanks.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I just lost my Spotted Mandarin of two years as well, died of natural causes I assume as no intro's were made. Sometimes fish just die with no apparent cause.

7. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

Got tempted by the awesome color, Do you think he killed the mandy? I may move him to a tank by himself if he is killing others:-/ and which wrasse do you suggest? Solar possibly?

8. Click Here!

9. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

Maybe but the timing was weird since I was intrducing the Lunar at the same time:confused:

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Lunar wrasse are mean. A new LFS just rescued two large tang that were eaten up by a lunar wrasse. The yellow has no fins or tail... i can't believe its still alive. I would catch it and offer it to someone around town for free.

11. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

had no idea they were that bad

12. Ryan_310

Ryan_310 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Always helps to do your research on a fish before you purchase it on a whim :)