Lumen Bright Relfector on a 120g

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by YellowBelly, Nov 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

I saw Aquarium Specialty is now selling Coral Vue Lumen Bright Double Ended Pendants (Dimensions: 15"x15"x10"). I plan to buy to of these to replace my current fixture for the holidays. My question is will this reflector be too large for a tank with dimensions 48"x24"x24"? I will be running two 14K Phoenix DE bulbs on a PFO HQI magnetic ballast. I don't want to have shadows so will I have to have the pendant suspended closer to the waters surface or further away? I'm hoping I can keep the light 6" about the surface since it is 15"x15" compared to my current 6"x2.5" reflector which doesn't leave too many shadows. How do I get rid of shadows, move the fixture closer to the waters surface?

Page 1

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i keep my bulbs 8" from the water, the fixture will be different. with no shadows, and the fixture houses 2-mh and 4-pc, not independent fixtures. if the independent fixtures have an edge that hangs down that will direct the light down, that may produce shadows. if the fixtures doesnt have an edge that hangs down the light can go horizontal and will more than likely not produce shadows. the closer the fixture is to the water with an edge, you get a tunnel effect with the light, that produces shadows. like changing the aperture on a flashlight.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

at 48 inches then you need two of them ..I have four of them hanging over a 300 gal tub now.Not that well made i don't think there are far better omnes out there

5. Walter

Walter Plankton

Hi ,

You did not mention the wattage of the DE bulbs.

6. YellowBelly

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Wattage does not really matter If you want to light it evenly then you need 1 fixture every 2 sq. ft of area.. These are not that great of reflector Ours hang about 3 ft above the tub and they are wasted I've had to replace every rivit with S.S screws and 2 of them I've had to rework the mogul socket bracket.. Its the long 2 x 6 whire metal and they rusted out.. I think Ii took some pic's of them yesterday . I'll get them posted for you.. Not a well made fixture at all.

8. Click Here!

9. YellowBelly

What reflector would you recommend for covering my 48" long x 24" wide x 24" tall tank? Two Lumenarc mini III's (14.5"x14.5"), two Lumen bright (15"x15"), two Sunlight Supply lumenmax 3 (11"x11.5"), or two Ice Cap (15"x8.75")? I will be supplementing with four 65 watt PC's.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

hamilton sells a diomand hammer tone that has a 99% reflectivity

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

We use the sunlight lumenmax mostly now in the shop and on the suystems we set up, Its a good solid made unit.. If you want ? I'll see what the cost is on them maybe I can save you a few $$$ ? We buy them in larger numbers and we may even have a few news one there somewhere ? LOL I just found a case of new SPS 14K Mogul 275 w M/H bulbs and last sept I found a case of HQI Uhios 10 K .. Let me no if interested ? and I'll take a look see Monday..

12. YellowBelly

Yeah, How much for two Lumenmax 250 watt HQI DE versions?