Urgent Luitennant tang emaciated and not eating.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by elweshomayor, Aug 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

No.. I do have an empty 29G but it isnt up to par to become a QT.

My fish will more than likely die in there before i can do any sort of treatment. Any reef safe treatments?

2. Click Here!

3. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

If it is worms or flukes I don't know of anything you can treat your tank with and not kill other coral/ inverts... if you could QT... there are options. Prazi ... is one. Why can you not set up the 29 with tank water from your system and a powerhead/ heater for now?

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Im not sure about treatments that are reef safe, but hopefully someone will chime in that does know of some...

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

will a 29G do the job? im afraid of taking him out of the tank.. None of my fish that i have tried going the QT route have survived.:-/

what are my options there?

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

hopefully.. he is a full grown tang.. a 29G will be incredibly stressful for him. Especially in the state he is in.

IF i do get him in the 29.. what are my options? and how long do treatment last?

7. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

29 would do the job its a treatment tank not for long term with a fish like that for sure. How I look at it is, if it is sick enough to die anyway, and you want to save it then QT it. I don't QT for ich or little things like that that seem to go away on there own with heavy garlic feeding. But worms are different, they will kill a fish if they are not killed. Ich will not.
    Heidi

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

my 29G is set up.. the only problem is that its been left alone for a while, so cyano and what not built up. I can sort of clean it up a bit, will that do?

leaving it the same, just cleaning it up a bit? or do i have to take everything out and clean before i add him...

can you please explain how the treatment works?

10. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Yes I will but.. My buddy just told me there is a food that works to kill internal parasites.. hold on a min and I will get that info for you...

A "reef safe" plan... maybe :)

To answer you though you can just leave it set up. Do you know how the water is in it? You might want to do a 50% or even 100% water change. Don't worry about the cyano/ algae Tang won't care.

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

the water should be fine. I can test it tomorrow morning. The tank has been fishless for about 2 months or so.

hopefully there is something that works.. although if he doesnt eat the food im not sure if it would work

12. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

"Gel-Tek Ultra Pure px"
    Google that and see if it is a food that kills/treats internal parasites. He's not 100% sure if thats exactly what its called.
    Prazi is what you would treat the water in the QT with. You follow the "per gallon" instructions and don't run charcoal at the same time. I think its about a 10 day or so treatment. Guy I know treat ALL his fish when they come from the importer with it does a great job with worms/ flukes etc. But it is NOT safe for in your reef tank.
    Good Luck!
    Heidi